chapter 6

Sally knew she was willing to give the man a chance. However even with all her preparations, Sally still couldn't think of a viable reason for her to talk to the man.

No, Sally mused, making conversation wouldn't be difficult, she had years of experience in that field.

No the difficult part was the fact, she would need to steer the conversation in the direction of them living together.

And Sally couldn't fathom any reasons why their discussion would go in that direction.

She steeled her resolve. It was either this, doing the process of mental searching for people with an aura filthy enough to hide her son's presence, or send Percy to the Camp, where she is almost certain the Gods would order his death one way or another.

Compared to her last two options, the first one seems very pleasant.

Well, Sally considered, pleasant enough in theory. She had no idea how it would turn out in practice.

"Oi woman, open the damn door" a voice yelled, cutting off her thoughts.

Sally paused, she recognized that voice, it was one of Gabe's poker buddies. This one didn't come often to Gabe's game nights, but he was still as rowdy and brash like the rest of Gabe's buddies.

What was he doing here? Gabe was like the ringleader in their little group, Sally had assumed with him in jail, the others wouldn't enough backbone to confront her.

"Oi woman! You listening to me? I said to open the damn door!"

And it seemed fate was out to prove her wrong.

Sally heard an insistent tugging at the door-knob, she could picture his meaty hands covering the knob and pulling.

On her own side, the door handle shook and trembled, "open the DAMN door woman, or we will have a PROBLEM!" He screamed as the handle continued to shake.

"Mommy?" Nonononono- "what's going on!"

Sally watched in horror as Percy walked closer towards her, closer towards the man behind the door.

"Percy, dear, I need you to sto-"

"GABE TOOK YOU AND YOUR LITTLE BRAT IN CAUSE OF THE PURE GOODNESS IN HIS HEART, YET YOU STOMP ALL OVER HIS KINDNESS AND CALL THE DAMN POLICE ON ONE OF MY BUDDIES."

"M-m-mommy?" Percy whimpered, staring wide eyed at the banging door, "I'm scared."

A tremor rumbled throughout the floor, and Sally suppressed her urge to curl up into a ball. All thoughts of her own safely were lost, with only thoughts of making sure Percy gets away from the door on her mind.

With this in mind she slowly started moving away from the door, and closer towards her son. Sally reached over and tucked him close towards her, while simultaneously covering his eyes.

"Percy dear" she whispered over the continuous shouting originating from the door, "lets play a game, when I uncover your eyes, run towards my bedroom and hid under the bed, okay?"

Percy looked up towards her, his eyes still covered, "b-but, what about you mom? What are you going to do?"

Sally silently curse the hero complex Percy had seemed to develop at the age of seven.

"I'm going to be fine, but remember mommy need you to run as s-"

"Open the fucking door," there was a silence before a large bang erupted "NOW!"

"Go" Sally cried before uncovering Percy's eyes. At the same time, the door let out a thunderous crack, Sally gave Percy another push towards the bedroom, "GO!"