The Curious Case of Kirsten Wyland: Retribution

Tuesday
21 February 2017

Captain Bridge O'Reilly was the kind of agent who'd been born for the badge. With five generations of police officers behind him, there really was no other choice. He was a serious man with a serious face who booked criminals like a librarians catalogue in Washington DC.

He valued his work. He valued his colleagues. But besides his wife and kids, life for him was black and white and written in the law.

It's why he didn't trust anybody, not even his closest allies at the bureau. Anyone could be bought. Anyone could do the wrong thing, especially if they had the right motivation.

But today his heart broke as he walked up the black tiled steps of one of the only people he thought he could trust.

When the door opened, his eyes rolled up to the woman behind it
Her brown hair straightened to perfection as if she was already waiting for them. He wanted her to fight, to tell him she was innocent.

Instead she turned her back towards him and extended them crossed. Inviting to be cuffed.

"Elizabeth Masey, you have the right to remain silent." He began whilst placing the silver cuffs to her wrists. Making sure not to make them too tight.

"Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law. You have the right to an attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be provided for you. Do you understand the rights I have just read to you? With these rights in mind, do you wish to speak to me?"

All she gave him was an indulgent tilt of the head. A clear: 'you know, I know better'.

But he still had to do it. Because if she did know better she wouldn't be on this side of the law, because she was the law.