Congratulations, sheriff.

Abigail
6 November 2016
2 days before election day

The sound of piano glitters across the fairy light lit restaurant. It's the perfect accompaniment to the boisterous laughter and conversation of Democratics. Waitrons pass like ghosts between tables and cliques handing out flutes of champagne. It's a last Huzzah before the elections this Tuesday. Everyone who is anyone is here; a room of my father's closest supporters - half the democratic party.

Well, almost everyone.

Seven days.

It's been one, full, week since I've spoken to her. We've had no choice but to go stone cold silent on communications until Carlton figures out what's going on.

So I, a beautiful women, in a room full of beautiful people can't help but be utterly miserable. Mahalia of course is having the time of her life.

Who can resist her in the shocking red rouged lips and the black sequined gown hugging her hips. It's the first time I've seen her with her hair up, she carries it well.

Me? There's no amount of glitz or glamour that could make up for the aching want that's overcome me today.

This is one of those days I would have enjoyed flirting with Liz. Seeing her breath catch when her eyes finally find me in my latest scandalous dress. Teasing her in a room full of people where she could do nothing but watch young men fall at my feet for an ounce of my attention. But she'd be the only one who truly had it. I would've spent the night figuring out how far off the ledge I could push her into unravelling. I wouldn't win, I never do but it's fun to try.

Tonight though, I'm hiding out on the terrace, nursing the solitary glass of champagne I can stomach. That is until my periphery is filled with a phone from my mothers slim manicured hand.

"It's not bugged." She says. A gentle smile hinting at her mouth.

Seeing that I don't understand she continues.

"Call her."

I look down at the screen she hands me.

DISTRICT ATTORNEY MASEY.

All that's left is for someone to press the green button and the call would go through.

I stare at the phone. Then my mom. Her face is the sweet picture of love I grew up with. A face I know well. It's the one that tells me she'd do anything for my happiness.

A meagre exhale is all I manage as a thank you as my thumb drops to the green phone icon. Phone already to my ear I barely acknowlede my mother as she walks away.

"Eleanor."

Elizabeth's voice is a balm to my anxiety.

"Close, but much prettier." I say.

Silence.

"Abigail?" I can hear her smile through the phone.

"Hi." I grin.

"How is this possible?" She asks amused.

"Modern technology."

"Did you steal your mother's phone?" She laughs.

"What, like a naughty teenager? No." I chuckle. "Believe it or not she gave it to me. Apparently I'm spoiling dinner with my moping. - -You should've come."

"I would've loved to."

"I have no one to play with. The men are old and creepy and the women are serious and dull."

"I highly doubt that. I know those people, there must be someone interesting enough to distract you."

"Only Hal, but I released her to go on shmooze mode minutes ago."