~8~

Gingerbread cookies are eaten only once in every season and that is every Christmas.

Christmas was a season on its own. The beautiful songs, the fireworks, the smell of Christmas, the lights and oh, let's not forget the gingerbread biscuits. Everything reminded me of Christmas.

"Babe, should we put on the-" Ayomide, my husband started before he got interrupted by the sound from the kitchen.

It was then I realized that my two kids, Dara and Segun were nowhere to be found and that it had been quiet for a long while.

When Dara and Segun were quiet, something was up.

With the way I raced to the kitchen, one would think that I was a sprinter. I ran as fast as I could to the kitchen with Ayomide trailing behind and as soon as we got to the kitchen, Dara and Segun were there, covered with flour, from head to toe like ghosts.

Dara's newly made Christmas hair was not exempted.

"And we made this hair yesterday! Ayo, can you see your children?!" I groaned as I collapsed on the kitchen stool.

Dara and Segun stood there with repentant faces as their dad went there and dusted the flour off their body.

"Daddy, it was Segun that said that-" Dara started before I cut her short.

"Will you shut up. You are five Dara and you are the oldest. I shouldn't expect this from you!" I yelled as I walked over to her side.

"Ade mi, calm down," he said as he started packing up the pans, "Shouting won't solve anything!"

"Don't calm me down oo. Flour is expensive now and I just made Dara's Christmas hair yesterday. What kind if children are this?!" I cried out as I stomped my foot on the ground.

"Mommy, I'm sorry!" Dara and Segun chorused as I rolled my eyes and walked to the parlor to continue with the rest of the decorations. These children were not worth it at all.

★★★

Christmas meant a lot to me. My husband proposed to me and we had our first child, Dara on Christmas day.

Dara's dad had volunteered to lose her braids and take her to the salon to do new braids although I wanted her to carry a flour infested hair for Christmas just to teach her a lesson.

I mean, the flour was sitting down in the kitchen and Dara was with her brother in her room and the next minute, they were bathed with flour from head to toe.

The same flour I planned to use to bake gingerbread cookies.

My husband had gotten me a new bag of flour and I was currently in the kitchen making the gingerbread cookies.

"The scent is so nice already," I moaned as the smell of ginger engulfed my nostrils and I suddenly felt like taking a ginger drink so I picked up my phone and texted Ay to get me a Ginger drink on his way back.

"Mom, I want Gingerbread cookies!" Segun grinned as he walked over to my side and gave me a hug.

"I'm still mad at you for yesterday!" I replied honestly as his facial expression changed.

"I'm sorry. You have to forgive because you taught us to always forgive and forget," he quoted as I rolled my eyes.

Trust these children to always use your words against you.

"I've forgiven you but I'm still angry at you. That's two different things," I replied as I brought out the Rolling pin.

"Really? But you said that in the book of Ecclesiastes, 'Anger rested in the Bosom of fools'." He replied with an innocent face as I rolled my eyes.