37- The Livings Easy Honey

"- I doubt that. She just needs to know what's happening. She can handle it. I know she can." I heard Asendra say.

"I don't distrust you my Majesty, I just am worried. Her mental state is completely destroyed from the emotional distress she went through, I can't see her reacting well to it." another voice said, this one less familiar.

"I am aware. But I know she will ask, and I don't have the heart to lie or not tell her at all. Truth stings for only a little while, but lies hurt forever."

I opened my eyes, blinking the fog out of my eyes. "Asendra?" I whispered, wanting to see her, wanting to take her hand and never let it go. Her loving, fair freckled face came into view, and she cradled my face in her hands.

"My love." she murmured, kissing my cheeks, then my nose, then my forehead. She paused a moment, and gazed into my eyes, before softly grazing her lips on mine, sending a spark of fire through my heart.

Her sparkling crown caught my eye, the gloriousness of it making me smile.

"You look so perfect and stunning in jewels you know." I muttered absentmindedly, my hands entwined with hers.

She smiled at me, relief tugging at the corners of her eyes. I could see the worry, the grief. But I could tell it would fade soon.

"And soon you shall wear them too. I can't rule by myself for much longer. You know how I hate how my hair looks all plaited like that." she chuckled, tracing my cheek.

I grinned, and tried to sit up, this time more successfully. We sat like that for a moment, until I just had to ask.

"Why is Terrence in the dungeons?" I said, trying to not let my voice waver. She sighed and looked into my eyes deeply.

"Terrence and the Resuri were put in there by the Skylarian government forces, not by me. I begged them to let him out as I know that he did no wrong in this, and I could tell by the way you looked at him that night. I tried to tell them but they wouldn't listen. Next week they go on trial for foul play against innocent citizens, and treason because of other laws that they had passed without the other Province courts being in agreement." she said, her thumb tracing the back of my hand, as if to try and calm me down to some degree so I could comprehend what she was saying.

The nurse coughed, and quietly excused herself from the room, shutting the door quietly.

"But Terrence- he never wanted any of that! He never even cared about-" I started, panic rising in my voice. If they were convicted of treason, legally they could be killed without my permission if the other Provinces were in complete agreement.

"I know honey, I know. I'm doing my best to talk to the other Province leaders that are here right now, but I don't have your quick, witty comments to make them see what's really good." she said, sympathy deep in her voice.

"Then let me talk to them. They need to realize that not everyone in that dang court actually made the stupid, ignorant decisions, and it was mainly the King's doing anyway." I pleaded angrily.

"No darling, I can't do that, not yet. You still need to recover from all that blood loss. The nurse said that best case scenario, you'll be out of here in three days. The apothecary escaped once he healed the Prince, and they had to find another that lived in Irildia. She'll be here tomorrow to confirm."

"Well what am I supposed to do for three days while about one hundred innocent people sit in the dungeons waiting for their death sentence?!" I asked, indignant.

"First of all, more than just the King was guilty. Second, you will rest and recover. Once that's done, the coronation is set to happen in about two weeks for you to legally become the Queen, with I your second in command. Then we will be married and no one can stop us." she said, squeezing my hand tightly.

I let out a chuckle in spite of the pain it caused me. This Asendra was different from the girl that rode with me to Rysa's house earlier this winter.

But this Asendra was confident, strong, and I was more in love with her than I ever had been before. The title of Queen suited her incredibly well, if I did say so myself. I solemnly nodded my head, and she tilted my face up with her finger gently.

"I love you Ellora." she murmured, her voice sincere and heavy. I looked up at her in surprise. "I really do." she said, frowning at my blushing, unsure face. Then she kissed me again, this one still soft, but more fervently than before.

"I love you too." I whispered as her lips pulled away. She beamed in relieved satisfaction at my words, and sat back down on the couch by my bedside again, exhaling boredly.

"As much as I just want to sit here with you in peace, let's talk politics. I am in need of serious help honey. You knew about all this before you even came here, and I have no clue what I'm doing." she admitted, brushing her hair out of her face.

So, I explained and recounted the things I had learned, trying to remember as much as I could about the court laws and etiquette Terrence had taught me. Somewhat gratefully, I knew she didn't have to deal with the Resuri courtiers causing her headache, since she would only be working with the other Provinces courts and leaders.

The nurse and Ellora took turns getting me food, water, and new bandages every hour or so, and other visitors stopped in for a moment as well like Ms. Ledsal, Meira, and Raven, who I was ecstatic to see. I hadn't seen them since the day Terrence put me in the dungeons, and that was what, only twelve days ago? But it felt like eternity since I had seen them.

Asendra made me take time to rest, leaving to do more paperwork or meet with more of the Skylarian soldiers who were all going to be given Lord and Lady status in the court for their service in overthrowing the Resuri's tyrannical rule. This schedule went on, and the next day, the apothecary arrived, and deemed me almost healed, and sentenced me to two more days in the medical wing. Two more days and I would be able to finally make everything right again. The pieces were finally being set in place.
____________________________

Song: Moon River from Breakfast At Tiffany's~ Audrey Hepburn truly is the best :)