Chapter 9

I dodge a claw attack from one of Cooper's goons before the other one comes at me. He tries to take a bite out of my arm, but I move it out of the way just in time, and slam my elbow into his head. The other guy comes back, kicking me in my side. "Let's not do this in front of her house! There's a lot of buildings around, and I don't wanna be seen." Cooper says.

Just then, his friend kicks me in my stomach, sending me flying into the backyard. I tumble to a stop and cough. My body already feels weak, but I gotta keep going. "Come on, pup. You can barely handle me, let alone my friends. Give up now before its too late for you." Cooper taunts. I dust my arm off and shake my head. His goons come around from the driveway and joins the lineup.

"I'm not letting you get to her." I say. Cooper readies himself, and it clear that his friends were just getting warmed up. Shit.

These guys are way stronger than me. They outspeed me, too. Like Cooper said, I can barely take him in a fight. How am I gonna win this?

Cooper dashes for me and slams his hand into my chest before I can even move. He throws me into a pine tree, making pines fall on my head. It knocks the wind out of me, making me cough and gasp for air. I hold myself up on the tree as one of his friends, the blonde hair, runs for me next. I duck to the side before my nose gets bashed in, then jump up to narrowly avoid the brown-haired goon. Blondie comes back, and him and Cooper begin trying to take me out as a team.

They keep me on my toes, and its getting harder and harder for me to dodge. I see a small space between the two of them and duck there, but the brown haired guy punches my back before I can get a breath in. He wraps his arms around my torso and throws himself back, suplexing me into the ground. I begin to cough, but immediately get kicked by Cooper. I go flying across the backyard, tumbling against the ground.

My healing factor can barely keep up with their attacks. I'm losing energy, and its making me and my healing much slower. I lay on my stomach for a minute to let my body heal as Cooper comes over to me. "You're so damn weak. Its no wonder your pack ditched you. You're nothing but dead weight." He says. I try to push myself up off the ground, but he stomps his foot into my back. "Gah!" I groan as he twists his heel into my spine.

"Break his legs. We don't want him getting back up." Cooper orders. He removes his foot from my body as his goons go around me and grab my legs. "I'm going inside to kill the girl. I won't be long." He tells them, walking away.

I have to do something, and fast! I can't get back up and go straight for Cooper, these two'll be on my tail. What should I do, what should I do!?

"On the count of three, twist his leg in the opposite direction." One of the goons says. Shit, I don't have any time to think right now! I need to do something!

"1... 2..." The man says. Before he can get to three, I spin onto my back as fast as I can, kicking him and his friend in the face. They fall to the dirt, giving me an opening to get up and go to the house. The back door is open, but Cooper doesn't smell too far. I sniff out Dani, who's hiding in the bathroom in the master bedroom.

I run to the stairs and spot Cooper, who's waiting for me. "Why won't you just die already? At least give up. You know you're no match for me." He says, trying to intimidate me. Its not gonna work.

"Maybe, but I'm not letting you kill her" I say. He starts coming down the stairs towards me, his hands in his coat pockets.

"Why do you care so much, anyways? She's just a human. I bet you'd devour her, too, if you truly had to." He says. His hands move around in his pockets.

"I care because she has nothing to do with us! Like you said, she's just a human!" I say.

"She got in the way." Cooper reminds me. "She has to die!" He pulls his hands out of his pockets, revealing two large wolf fangs. The smell is familiar, but I can't place it. He swings one at my face, but I move out the way before it cuts me. I get a whiff of the blonde guy behind me and spin around, blocking his punch just before it lands. I knee him in his stomach and swing my elbow into Cooper's temple.

I throw a left hook into his head as fast and hard as I can, then follow it with an uppercut. Punching him hurts my fists, but its at least keeping him at bay. The brown hair comes to attack me, but I move my head to the right. I grab his arm and flip him over my shoulder, swinging him down onto Cooper's head. They fall to the floor as the blondie attacks me again. He just won't give up!

I can tell from his smell that he's just a beta, but he's awfully strong. His attacks are hard to keep up with, and every now and then his claws will cut my face a little.

The man begins to slow down with his attacks, and I see a large opening! Right as I'm about to cut his neck, something sharp and cold impales my back. "AAAARGHH!!!" I shout out in pain. Cooper must've gotten up while I was distracted.

The pain is debilitating, but that, of course, wouldn't stop him from shoving the tooth further into my back. "Don't get back up, or I'll slit your throat." He says in my ear before kicking me to the ground. I cough and my body trembles. Its trying to repair itself, but it can't. I'd need to remove the tooth, but I'm too weak to even move right now. I forgot how bad werewolf teeth hurt.

Cooper and his goons start going up the stairs as I try to think of what to do next. "Sniff her out. Her scent isn't hard to find." Cooper orders. I'm glad I thought to cover her smell. It'll take them awhile to find her, but she isn't safe for long. Without any other way to heal myself, I decide to morph into my wolf form.

The wound becomes much bigger, causing the tooth to fall out of my back. The hole repairs itself, so I change back.

Then I change again because I'm naked.

I can't fight them like this. I can barely fit in the house while I'm on the ground. If I stand up, it'll destroy this place.

But I don't wanna fight while I'm naked.

I look at Dani's couch, seeing a large blanket. I turn into my human form and go over, tying it around myself. It's not the most practical, at all really, but it stays up and keeps me from humiliating myself. I sneakily climb the stairs, hearing one of Cooper's goons say "I can't find her anywhere. The only girly scent is coming from her bedroom."

"Sniff harder, dammit! We need to find her!" Cooper shouts. He's in the master bedroom, and he's getting close to Dani. The only way I can hurt him is by a sneak attack, and this is my opening.

I peek around the banister, making sure nobody sees me, before sneaking into the bedroom and attacking. I get him into an head lock and cover his mouth so he can't call for help. I throw my knee into his back, making him drop the other tooth.

He's unarmed now, so I spin him around and slam us into the ground. I get his arm behind his back and grab his chin and the top of his head, pulling back on it. I pull on his head until I hear a loud snap, and Cooper stops moving.

The other two men come into the room and see me on top of his dead body. I get up and prepare myself for a fight, but they don't attack. Instead, they turn and leave the room. After a few seconds, their scents disappear from the house. They're gone, and Dani's safe now. I dust myself off and sling Cooper's body over my shoulder, carrying him out of the house and into the backyard. I walk into the woods until I find the large creek.

"Rest in peace, Cooper. I hope you have a better life next time." I say before placing his body in the water. I return to the house and open the door to the bathroom, not seeing Dani anywhere. I follow my scent and pull back the bath curtains, seeing her sitting in the tub. "There you are." I say, holding my hand out.

She takes it and I pull her to her feet. "Is it safe?" She asks. "..And why the hell are you wearing a blanket?"

"Long story. But yes, you're safe." I assure her. "Um, do you happen to have any clothes I could wear? I can't go out like this."

"Not in your size. You're huge!" She says, giving me my jacket back. I put it on. "I could always get Taylor to go to Target and bring me some, but that'll take a while, and I don't want her asking why I'm buying men's clothes. Especially in your size."

"Please just do it. I don't wanna be seen like this." I beg. Dani chuckles.

"Okay, I'll call her. You can stay in my room in the meantime. Just don't touch anything." She offers.

"Thank you." I say, and we walk to her room.

"No problem."