"Perhaps." Tom shrugged. "But I know my daughter. She wouldn't cheat. Right, pumpkin?"

A corner of Marinette's lips curled. "What's the point of a victory if I don't earn it fair and square?"

"There you go." Tom chuckled, patting her on the shoulder proudly. "I didn't raise a cheater."

"So, we pass?"

"For now." There was another glint of mischief in his eyes. "There is something else I need to test before I'm satisfied."

"And that would be?" Marinette asked.

Tom turned to Adrien. "Say, how destructive are your powers? Do you just break stuff, or can you vaporize it?"

"I can do both," Adrien said.

"Perfect." Tom grinned. "Then, you wouldn't mind cleaning—I mean demonstrating your powers by vaporizing some of the stuff I have stored in the backroom?"

Sabine and Marinette rolled their eyes in unison, their exasperated groans synching.

Adrien chuckled. "Of course. Just show me what you want to be vaporized for my demonstration."

"That's my boy." Tom laughed, patting Adrien's shoulder and settling down beside the Christmas tree. "Now, let's open the presents. I know Marinette's dying to see what you got her, son."

"I am not," Marinette protested, plopping on the floor beside her father, a sly grin on her lips. "And to prove it, I'll open Adrien's present last."

"Are you sure, sweetheart?" Tom fished an irregularly shaped package from under the tree. It was wrapped in red paper with black polka dots, sporting a huge white bow on top. "It's something soft. Aren't you curious? Even a tiny bit?"

Marinette grabbed Adrien's present from her father and set it behind herself. "Of course, I'm curious, but not as much as you seem to be. Let's open yours first."

"Alright, alright." Tom visibly deflated, reaching for a neatly wrapped box with his name on it.

A new apron Marinette had made him did impress Tom. However, an antique recipe book her mother had gifted him was a clear winner. Apparently, he'd been trying to track it down for months. Not even Adrien's classic route of a bottle of vintage wine could stand a chance.

"That's for dinner tonight." Tom grinned. "You have good taste in wine, Adrien. I've tried this one a few times before, and let me tell you, those were some of the best drinks I've ever had."

"Good to know our tastes match." Adrien mirrored Tom's grin. "I'll know what to get you next time I need to appease you."

Tom laughed. "Looking forward to it."

"Maman, this is for you." Marinette passed Sabine a few packages.

Sabine opened the one from Adrien first, barely suppressing a gasp as she unwrapped the most gorgeous crystal vase either of them had ever seen. Marinette's handmade necklace and Tom's store-bought earrings couldn't hold her attention for long after that, even though the duo went through the trouble of coordinating their gifts so that the jewelry would look like a set.

"Your turn." Marinette passed Adrien a box from her parents.

"Nothing too fancy," Tom said, "But you need one of these."

Adrien's face lit up as he unwrapped a deep black game console controller with neon green accents. Everyone in the Dupain-Cheng family had one customized to their preferences. Adrien always had to borrow someone else's. Now, he had his own.