The Water Gets Cold Alone

"Bucky, you've known me your whole life." Steve says. The soldier punches Steve.

"Your name is James Buchanan Barnes."

"SHUT UP!" Winter says punching Steve again.

"I'm not gonna fight you..." he says dropping his shield to the dark city below.

"Your my friend" he says. They stare at each other. Winter then runs at Steve knocking them both down.

"You're my mission," Winter says punching him repeatedly.

"Then finish it.." he says.

Bucky's P.O.V.

"Then finish it..." he says. I can't bring myself to though. Why?

"Because I'm with ya till the end of the line." Images flash before me... of me happy with the man before me. We look so different. My missing life I remember it all! But I don't want to because the pain of loving him is there once again, the pain of missing him, and the pain of what I've done to him.

All of a sudden a piece of the crashing plane falls causing "Steve", as my memory recalls, falling to the unknown area below. My love was never able to save me but I could save him. He hits the water so he does have a chance but not with the wounds I gave him. Me, I did this to him. The wounds would keep him from being able to swim. Oh no...he would drown. As pain flowed through me I let go of the piece of plane in my hands that was still stable. With a splash I was in the water. He was slowly sinking lower and lower as the cold water took him. I swam to him, grabbing his face giving him what air I had left. I then grabbed his sides and swam up to the surface. I dragged his body on to the shore. He looked some what peaceful. I kiss him on the head and put my tags on his chest. As much as it pains me, I have to go back to Hydra, not because I want to but because I have to wipe them out to truly save my love.

/-/-/-/-/-/-/-

Steve's P.O.V.

I woke with a pounding head ache and the need to cough. My mouth was dry and scratchy. What had happened? Oh... right I was drowning, but how did I-, my thoughts were interrupted when Nat, Bruce, and Sam came in the room.

"Oh Cap... are you okay? Do you need anything?" Nat said.

"Water." I crocked out. She went to go get me some water while Bruce smiled at me then looked at my stats. Sam just watched the floor. He looked sad.

"Sam, whats wrong?" He looked at me with sorrow in his eyes.

"I know he was your friend but who ever he was is not the man he is now... you can't save them all Cap." I was shocked by his statement.

"We both know that wont stop me." I say with a hint of sorrow myself. It was true he is not the same man but that man I feel in love with is still in there, some where. I saw it in his eyes when I said,

"Because I'm with ya till the end of the line." I saw my jerk of a best friend, my comrade, my love. He is still in there, waiting for me to catch him. Nat came back in and handed me my water. It helped with my head a bit but I still had questions without answers buzzing around.

"How did I make it out? The water I mean." They all froze and looked shyly at each other. After a awkward silence Bruce spoke,

"We don't know... you should have died." He looked sadly at the floor,"We found you washed up on the shore with a pair of dog tags."

"What?"

"The tags said No love like RlB." This time I froze. They must have noticed because they then asked,

"Steve does that mean anything to you?"

"He does remember..." I should feel happy but it only makes me want to cry because he remembered and still left me. He was the one who pulled me out. Does he care?

"Who? The Soldier?"

"It's a inside joke Mr. Stark and the rest of our comrades came up with but never told us what it meant. We figured it out any way."

"So what does it mean?"

"It means he remembers. He's the one who saved me. He will come back, he still cares. That tag... it means so much to us. He kept it even though he didn't remember. Bucky's still in there... some where." I say looking off into the distance,

"I'm going to catch you this time. I promise." I say in a whisper with one, single, tear rolling down my face.

----8/16/16 UPDATE----

I'm just fixing a few spelling errors and stuff.