Girl Talk With Judy

Start from the beginning

I didn't know how to respond. It didn't mean that Bernard necessarily "like liked" me... but she was implying that he liked me to some extent, right? Maybe he just admired me a lot, thought I was talented or something. What does fondness even mean? This wasn't because he carried me back last night either, was it? I would have asked but I heard the door open, and footsteps walking in. If he did "like me" in that sort of way, he sure didn't show it very well either.

"Are you two gossiping about me?" I turned to see Bernard walk in after knocking on my door. He stared between the two of us intently.

I immediately turned pink and looked away, which Judy started giggling at once again.

"Um, okay?" Bernard looked between the two of us with a confused expression. "Well I was just going to let you know that one of the elf tailors, her name is Shirley, will be ready for you around noon today. I could walk you down if you'd like, it can be hard to navigate at first," Judy gave him a little look to which he mouthed, "What?", his eyebrows knitting together and his face resuming its confused look. "Judy you can bring her if you'd like too, if that's what you are meaning."

"Actually, I was wondering if someone could show me where the bathroom is? I look and smell like I was traveling all day yesterday."

"You were." Bernard answered in an obvious tone.

"I was being sarcastic. I'd just like a shower." I shook my head.

Judy also shook her head, finding his response just as sad as I did. "Bernard why don't you go work on some of your Head Elf duties. I'll show Angie the bathroom and to the tailors later."

Bernard opened his mouth to say something, but nothing came out.

"You can meet us there later if you like," I added quickly, "At the tailors, not the bathroom." I coughed awkwardly as if that was something that really needed clarification.

"Yes, I assumed so," Bernard gave a small chuckle. "So, I'll be seeing you later then." He said to me with a nod. "I'll be on my way."

"Bernard," I called after him as he turned to walk off.

He paused and looked back at me.

"Thank you for yesterday. For bringing me the rest of the way back, I appreciate it."

"It's no problem." He smiled politely, then disappeared down the hall.

"So, you are in the residential area of the Santa house," Judy told me once he left. "It's a place just reserved for Santa and his family. No elves live here, making you an exception since you are a family member of the new Santa." She walked to the corner of my room and pulled down on a large golden wall-mounted piece of mistletoe. The wall folded up outwards like an accordion creating a white scalloped arch, and a new room opened up from inside. "That's how you access your bathroom. You just need to pull down on that lever there and it should open right up." She lead me inside and showed me around.

The first thing I noticed was that everything was the perfect size for me. I had been using a stool to style my hair in the mirror for the last few months, but I could easily see myself in the reflection.

The bathroom matched the theme of my room, it was still green, but a slightly lighter shade. There were red towels hanging from a golden wall mount, along with paintings of different Christmassy plants on the walls. There was a small circular window along the outside wall, where a dainty curtain the shape of a snowflake was hung, providing privacy. The sink had deep jade cupboards with intricately carved details, and on the far edge of the, rather large bathroom, was a beautiful claw foot tub.

"Wow, this makes me feel like royalty." I gasped.

"Well, elves are very good craftsmen and women." Judy smiled. "Your bath will chose products specially for you, depending on the day and how you are feeling or thinking about, it might change. Oh, and anything you put into your basket here will be washed and returned in the morning for you too, so you don't have to worry about hauling your laundry all around. "