Chapter 18: This Is War

Start from the beginning

"Just a bottle of water," Evelyn said, "Just put it on Jake Blackwood's tab."

"Here you go," the man said.

"Thank you very much," Evelyn said.

She turned around chugging part of the water before leaving. As she was chugging the water bottle she saw a familiar boy walking toward her.

"Hey, Pope," Evelyn said catching his attention.

"Hey, Evelyn," Pope said and he sat the grocery bags down on the counter.

"Dropping off groceries for Heyward?" Evelyn asked.

"Yeah," Pope said.

"Got any more?" Evelyn asked.

"Yeah I've got another case of beer and a few bags still in the boat," Pope said.

"Let me help you," Evelyn said.

"Oh no, don't worry about it," Pope said.

"No. I insists," Evelyn said.

"All right," Pope said walking back to the boat, "So what brings you to the club this morning?"

"Oh my mom needed me to drop off some papers," Evelyn said, "Are you delivering groceries by yourself?"

"No. JJ is with me," Pope said, "He's just dropping stuff off at people's houses."

"Your dad actually trusts JJ to deliver his groceries?" Evelyn laughed.

"Gotta get help where he can find it I guess," Pope said walking onto the boat.

"These?" Evelyn asked point to the bags.

"Yeah," Pope said picking up the pack of beer and one of the bags while Evelyn grabbed two more.

"So how are you and JJ?" Pope asked.

"What do you mean?" Evelyn asked.

"Come on," Pope said, "I saw the way you two were dancing at The Wreck the other night."

"What do you mean?" Evelyn asked, "We were just dancing as friends."

"That looked to be a little more than friends," Pope said.

Evelyn opened her mouth to answer when someone yelled catching their attention. Evelyn turned her head to see Rafe jogging toward them.

"Shit," Evelyn said glancing at Pope, "Be cool."

"Hey, how much for one of those beers?" Rafe asked.

"They're not for sale," Evelyn said.

"I wasn't asking your princess," Rafe sneered stopping them with his golf club, "You can just give us one then right?"

"Or you could order one like everyone else," Pope said.

"Listen. Wait, wait, wait," Rafe said placing his hand on Pope's chest, "You're not listening to me. You've got so many bro, we've got nothing."

"Nothin'" Topper said making Evelyn glance at him.

"They're not ours," Evelyn said.

"They're already paid for," Pope said.

"Already paid for?" Rafe asked.

"What the hell. You probably stole 'em," Rafe said sticking his golf club in the bag Pope was holding it and ripping it open so that the contents would fall out.

"What the hell, Rafe," Evelyn said.

"You owe me for that," Pope said as Rafe swung his club knocking the other bag out of his hand.