Chapter 19: The regrets

The cold of the outsides made Troye's neck hairs crawl like spiders on his spine. He must have forgotten to shut the window before he went to sleep. He cursed himself under his breath and in between dreams, for he wasn't fully awoken yet. With a slight movement of his hips, he switched his position in bed, turning over on his back and facing towards the window with his eyes barely open.

Connor was looking back at him with his favorite grey pajamas on. Troye knew they were his favorite because he always wore them to YouTube events, such as VidCon or even ItaTube. He would never take any other set. Connor was looking at him with dreamy eyes, and a toothy smile.

-"Good morning, Troye boy."—Connor greeted sweetly.

-"Good morning, Con da Bon..."—Troye murmured, forming a smile on his face—"You've come here to wake me up?"

Connor nodded and scooted closer to Troye, crossing his arms and resting his head on them, like a child playing a game of peek-a-boo.

-"It's a long day today"—Connor said—", we should probably get up..."

-"It's not even light yet..."—Troye said—"It's so dark outside... I don't want to go..."

-"But it's about to dawn, Troye... we should probably get up..."

-"No! No, Con! Please, wait..."

Troye grabbed one of Connor's arms weakly, before giving out a huge yawn.

-"Please... I just want to sleep in..."

-"Ok, then... you don't have to wake up..."

Connor was starting to leave the bed, but Troye made haste of grasping his arm. Connor looked down at the blue eyed boy affectively, but still quite curious.

-"I want you to stay with me..."—Troye pleaded, almost taken away into his sleep.

Connor laid down in front of Troye, only a few inches away. He pressed their foreheads together, and with his right hand caressed his face. Their noses were touching, and Troye could feel Connor's eyelashes grazing his skin. It was ticklish, but it didn't bother him. Not one bit.

-"Then I'll stay with you, Troye boy..."

-"... Promise?"

-"... Promise."

Troye felt the warmth of Connor's embrace against his body. It felt so nice. It felt so good. The comfort was homely, and inviting to sleep. Troye could feel his eyelids closing again, bit by bit, returning him into the land of evergreens, were he and Connor lived under a sea of stars in the night sky and walked amongst all the most beautiful colors of the world...

Then, he woke up.

The first thing he noticed was that it was cold. Really, really cold. He looked at his feet and saw that they had somehow escaped the bed covers during the night. The window was open, as expected, and it was yet to be dawn, but he could hear a couple of birds chirping outside.

The next thing he noticed was that he was cuddling a pillow. He was alone. The room was empty, and there was no chance he had been visited that night.

It had been a dream.

His mind had tricked him, deceived him, in the most despicable and betraying way. Connor wasn't there with him, he was back in America. Far away, and never wanting to know anything of Troye ever again.

The realization was colder than the showers of ice that barged into the room from the window, and Troye came to notice his tearing eyes, and that he was alone in more way than just one. He was alone in that room. He was alone in that flat, in that country. He was alone in the heart, and that was probably going to be the case in a very long forever.