Chapter Three | Dazzling Smile

Soobin hurried across the street with Yeonjun beside him. 

"God damn, these people can be crazy drivers." Yeonjun said. They had almost got hit for the fifth time as a car ran the red light. Talk about close calls.

"You can say that again." Soobin huffed in annoyance and panted slightly. Yeonjun opened his mouth with a playful grin but Soobin interrupted. "I don't mean literally."

Yeonjun frowned, making Soobin laugh. Him and Yeonjun had been friends for at least two years before they met Jaehyuk, who had quickly gotten along with both of them. The three of them had been best friends ever since.

"Want to come and hang out?" Yeonjun asked as they continued down the street, but Soobin sighed.

"I can't. I promised I would pick up some things for my mother." He said. He was happy to help out his mom when she was busy, but the store she shopped from was so...empty seeming. And quite boring.

"Ah, that's okay." Yeonjun said, patting him on the shoulder. "I'll catch you later then."

Soobin nodded and watched Yeonjun run down the streets. He sighed and continued on his way to the store.

"So... quiet." Soobin mumbled. Mumbling was a habit now, considering his voice always seemed way too loud. He wouldn't be surprised if the store went out of business soon. Of course, there were shoppers, but not many. He felt his phone vibrate in his pocket and took it out.

"Hey Jaehyuk." Soobin said as he read labels on boxes.

"Hey." Jaehyuk said through the phone. "Whatcha up to?"

Soobin couldn't help but sigh. "Shopping."

"At the boring store?" Jaehyuk asked, and by the tone, Soobin could tell he was smiling.

"Yes, in the boring store." Soobin said jokingly in a mocking tone, making Jaehyuk laugh.

"Sounds fun."

"It's... boring." Soobin said, pouting as he picked out a box on the shelf and checking the expiration date.

"Wow, didn't see that coming." Jaegyuk laughed, clearly ignoring the fact they called it boring like five seconds earlier. Soobin was just about to answer as he put the box on the shelf, but he accidentally bumped the other boxes, making them topple off. The crashing sound seemed so... loud.

"Shit, I'll call you back." Soobin said, hanging up. He quickly bent down and scrambled to pick up the boxes. But then a voice stopped him.

"Need some help?"

"Sure." Soobin said, quite thankful. The boy bent down in front of him, and Soobin looked up at him, only to gasp slightly as his eyes stretched slightly wider. The boy looked up at him with a raised eyebrow and a half smile.

But he was just so... beautiful. Soobin couldn't help staring as the boy went back to helping collect the boxes.

"Are you going to help, or just keep staring?" The boy asked, not taking his eyes off the boxes. Soobin quickly snapped out of it and fumbled to help pick them up.

Once they were safely back on the shelves, the dark purple haired boy turned to him with... the most dazzling smile Soobin has ever seen.

"I'm Beomgyu." 

"I-I'm S-soobin." 

Soobin blushed slightly and looked down. This mysterious boy, Beomgyu, already had him tongue-tied.

Beomgyu couldn't help noticing the way Soobin stared. Truth be told, he hadn't attracted someone in a long time, considering he had become a spirit. It made him slightly shy, but he quickly shook it off. He was here to get this boys soul, not be his friend. Well, not a true friend anyways, maybe a fake one.

Kai rushed through the streets, quickly trying to find the store Beomgyu and Taehyun had been last seen.

But when he finally found it... he saw Taehyun waiting outside. Kai quickly tried to rush by him, because he really needed to stop Beomgyu.

"Kai?"

Kai stopped dead in his tracks, and willed his voice not to break.

"Not now, Taehyun. I need to stop Beomgyu from hurting an innocent person."

Kai heard Taehyun's footsteps as he came closer. "But... don't you miss me? It's been so long..."

Kai sucked in a breath. Of course he missed him. He missed him ever single day of his life. But what happened, happened. And there was no going back now. Kai turned to Taehyun.

"It doesn't matter, Tae." 

"Of course it matters! Don't you still love me? Because I never forgot you." Taehyun said gently, his eyes softening when they met the younger boy's.

"I do... but we're different. I'm a good spirit and you're..." Kai hesitated, not sure if Taehyun would be mad if he said the last words. He knew that being in human form could allow him to not just feel bad, but he wasn't sure how it affected him after all these years. 

Taehyun's eyes turned glassy and he took in a big, shuddering breath.

"I can't change it..."

"I know," Kai said gently, "I tried to help you, I did. When I heard the evil spirits were going to take your soul, and the good spirits were on their way to try and stop them, I begged them to hurry. I really did. I wanted you to be with me... but it was too late." 

Tears streaked Kai's cheeks and Taehyun took a couple cautious steps forward, hesitating slightly before wiping them off.

"I didn't know... but I wish they were in time. It's awful. I hate always feeling the way I do when I'm there."

Kai took a few steps back. "But... now it's too late, Taehyun. How do you think the evil spirits would feel if they found out you still loved me? An evil spirit liking a good one? Does Beomgyu even know?"

"No... and I'm not planning on telling them." Taehyun said, looking away.

Kai sighed. "I have to go..."

"Wait-" 

But Taehyun was too late as Kai hurried into the store. 

But dread washed through every inch of Kai once more as he frantically searched the store, and realized that both Beomgyu and Soobin were gone. 

—————————————————————————

Damnnn, sorry Kai, you were too late. 

Comment and vote?