CHAPTER EIGHT

The departure for Beast's palace is delayed until the afternoon

"Goodbye Beauty. I...I...miss you...already," Marthe sobs on Beauty's shoulder.

"Thank you," Beauty replies hugging her brow furrows as if surprised at the depth of feeling. She quickly dismisses the uncharitable thought.

"Knowing father will be back tomorrow and the season in Paris..."

"I know," Beauty smiles, "It will take some of the sting from my departure. Be happy Marthe."

Marie pulls Beauty into her arms.

"Living in a palace huh," teases Marie through tear filled eyes.

"Sounds like a fairy tale until..." her voice lowers to a whisper, "Beast."

"I'm praying for you sister," Marie replies.

Suddenly tears stream down Beauty's eyes. "I've waited all my life to hear you say that."

Her older brothers Raphaël, Jérémy and Pierre engulf her in a group. Raphaël says, "No one will miss you more than we will."

"I'll try to find some way of sending word to you on the front."

"You do that," says Jérémy.

Pierre hands Beauty a notebook.

"What's this?"

"You always were a book worm," he smiles sheepishly.

"Thanks Pierre."

"Look after everyone for me Camille especially Papa. Make sure he eats and looks after himself."

"I will Beauty."

"I never realised how much my sisters cared for me."

"I gave them something to cry about," Camille the maid says nodding in the direction of Marthe and Marie.

"What did you do Camille?"

"When they asked for onions to make them cry, I gave them chillies instead. The pain is fierce."

Beauty shouts a laugh. "What am I going to do without you," she tells the maid before approaching Éloïse.

"Stop trying to look after everyone Beauty," the Roma woman admonishes her.

"Some things never change," Beauty says hugging Éloïse. "Will you be able to come to the palace gates?"

"The forest is getting more and more dangerous and the wolf attacks get more bold."

"I understand, dear friend. Stay safe."

"You too."

Beauty gives Antoine her hand and he pulls her up onto Philippe back. He clicks his tongue and the horse begins to trot out of the driveway.

Beauty hides fears of coming face to face with Beast.

Antoine sets Philippe on the road to the palace in the heart of the enchanted forest. It is dusk, when he pulls Philippe's reins bringing the horse to a halt at the gate.

"Papa, Beast is expecting us. Look, there are lights in all the windows."

"It's was deserted inside when I got here a month ago, even with the lights on. Come let's take Philippe to the stable, rub him down and give him water and oats."

In the great hall, they find the dinner table laid out for two, a sumptuous three course gourmet meal.

Noticing Antoine toying with his food, Beauty puts on a cheerful expression, "Come on Papa, it was a long journey, let's not waste any of this food, lest we offend our host."

"Of course my dear," he mumbles.

"Beast provides a veritable feast, do you think he's fatting me up for a future meal?"

"Come child don't go putting such ideas in my mind."

"It was a joke Papa." She laughs not knowing how close to the mark her words are to the truth.

After dinner, Antoine and Beauty heard a thunderous howl announcing Beast's imminent arrival. He helps Beauty out of her chair so they stand waiting for their host in the great hall.

Beauty is visibly shaken by Beast's towering muscular physique and deep scar that ran the length of the right side of his face.

"Have you come willingly to be my mate," he roars in a booming voice

"Have you come willingly to be my mate," he roars in a booming voice. He leans in, sniffing her scent.

"Yes," Beauty's head instinctively lowers in submission, her body trembling all the while. She summons the courage to look at his face and meet the intense golden glow of his eyes.

"Good," he says reassured. He glances at Antoine, "You're my guest this evening. Leave tomorrow after saying your farewells. But I warn you never to return."

Turning a smouldering and longing gaze on his new mate says her name in a way that is loaded with meaning.

"Beauty."

"Beast," she answers unable to tear her gaze from his magnetic one. Beast turns on his heel leaving them alone.

"Oh, daughter," says Antoine, embracing Beauty, "I cannot imagine you alone with that savage animal

"Oh, daughter," says Antoine, embracing Beauty, "I cannot imagine you alone with that savage animal."

"Papa," said Beauty, in a resolute tone, "trust that all will be well."

"My mind is so unsettled, I doubt I will sleep a wink all night."

Antoine and Beauty retire to their separate rooms still rattled by the encounter with Beast.  No sooner are they in bed, than they are transported to the world of dreams...

It takes your vote and comments for this story to be ranked on wattpad. If you enjoyed reading this chapter, please share it with your friends, vote, comment, review etc...Thank you so much for stopping by and reading this chapter. Love y'all!

Want to keep informed of updates as they happen, add Beauty & the Beast to your reading list. Thanks AS x

May, 16, 2015