Chapter Eight

A gentle breeze brushed up against Tenten's dirty cheek, stirring her from her uncomfortable deep sleep.

Her eyes cracked open to find the sun shining down on her through the trees. At first, she had forgotten how she had even gotten there in the first place.

She remembered blood, someone yelling, being hurt by a woman with a crooked smile.

She groaned and held her head, as when she had tried to move, she had felt pain all over. She remembered Neji with red eyes again, as well as that woman named Yoru.

Tenten trembled slightly before rubbing her neck.

She had done a little damage but it still didn't change the fact that it hurt.

Tenten then remembered Neji's state of being and quickly got up to find him, ignoring the pain that shot throughout her whole body from the stiffness and Yoru's actions. She opened her mouth to call him out, but she didn't have to.

The moment she walked towards the trees was the moment she heard a groan.

Tenten walked in the woods further and found Neji curled up and shaking; his eyes closed with dry blood near the eyelids. His sharp teeth were pressed together in pain, and Tenten wondered if he ever got sleep last night.

His nose suddenly twitched and moments later he said, "Tenten... No, stay away. Agh!!"

He curled up in pain. Tenten felt tears swell up but refused to cry as she said, "Neji, you need medical care. If you stay like that, it'll be worse."

"I'm afraid I'll bite you, Tenten. Just please, stay away from me!"

Tenten, even though she was scared, shook her head and carefully walked closer to him. He realized this and tried to get up, but it only hurt him more to move. Tenten saw his struggle and used all her strength to pick him up.

Neji groaned loudly out of pain and just about gave up trying to tell Tenten to stay back.

It was obvious to him that she wouldn't listen to his pleads.

Tenten carefully carried Neji back to the single tree and gently laid him up against the tree, pulling out a scroll and releasing the bowl and rags that were placed inside it. She looked up at Neji and said quietly, "Stay here, Neji. Please."

Unsure of what else to do and not feeling like being carried around once more, Neji nodded quietly.

Tenten smiled and got up, taking the bowl to the edge of the water and returned to sit in front of Neji. She wet one of the rags and carefully dabbed it up against his eyelids. He bared his teeth but made no further move.

Tenten took advantage of that, and she continued to clean around his eyes.

She wouldn't have been able to work on his eye; it wasn't something she was skilled at. But she'd do all else for him. Neji continued to groan softly out of pain as Tenten cleaned his eyes and then moved to the rest of his face, including his seal mark, which was also somehow burned.

He was trying his best not to lash out, but even being five feet within his mouth and eyes was highly irritating him.

Finally, she finished and pulled out ointment and gently rubbed his over his eyelids, hoping that it would sink in and help in some way.

The whole time, Neji was gripping the tree and creating dents.

When Tenten was finished, she wrapped bandages around his head and eyes, finally breathing out and saying, "I'm done Neji."