Chapter Five

Tenten marveled at the lights and stands surrounding her.

She remembered going to the festival once before, but it was so long ago.

Sakura laughed at Tenten's face and asked, "Enjoying yourself?"
Tenten blushed and said, "It's just that I haven't been to a festival in such a long time. I barely remember the last time I went."

Sakura giggled and nudged Ino, who gave a wide smile.

The group of young shinobi were walking towards the ferris wheel, where they planned on parting to enjoy the festivities on their own.

Shikamaru said, "It's a bother, honestly. We have to get dressed, follow certain rules, and have meet up at a certain time. I'd rather just stay home."

Tenten rolled her eyes at Shikamaru's remark and said, "At least try to enjoy yourself now that you're here." "

Yeah," Choji agreed, "And just think of all the types of food that's been created for this day."

Kiba was about to open his mouth to protest about him always eating, but Ino, sensing what was about to happen, covered his mouth and said, "Yeah, I'm sure they do!"

Tenten's stomach suddenly growled and Sakura asked, "When was the last time you ate?" Tenten blushed.

Ever since the events with Neji happened, she had been eating less and less. "Uh," Tenten said, smiling sheepishly, "Yesterday...?"

Ino groaned and said, "You really are high maintenance." Kiba flipped two coins to a nearby woman at a stand, grabbing three yakitori and handing one to both Choji – glancing apologetically at Ino – and to Tenten.

She smiled at him and said, "Thanks, Kiba."

He shrugged it off and continued to walk.

Tenten looked down at the yakitori but couldn't will herself to eat it. She just didn't have the appetite. Neji noticed and worked up the courage to walk up to her.

"You should eat," he said, a little too directly. Tenten looked at him, unsure if she somehow ticked him off.

Neji realized how he sounded and said in a softer tone, "We wouldn't want you passing out on us. Just a few bites."

Neji put his hand on top of hers, causing both of them to blush. Neji directed the yakitori towards her mouth and she hesitantly took a bite.

Tenten forced herself to chew and swallow. After a few moments, she relaxed and continued to eat on it on her own. Neji smiled slightly and watched her until he realized the whole group had turned their attention to him and Tenten.

Neji quickly cleared his throat and lightly pushed Tenten ahead of him. She was too busy enjoying the food to notice. Choji, who had already finished his, said, "Man, I could go for a few more of those."

Ino rolled her eyes and then glanced over to Kiba. He was making an evil glance over to Neji, who had returned the look without even trying.

'That's not something you see every day,' she thought. 

She leaned over and whispered in Sakura's ear, causing her eyes to widen slightly. They both looked over their shoulder once more and found that they weren't glaring at each other anymore. Sakura shook her head and sighed.

'I hope Tenten doesn't have to do with those looks,' she thought.

~

The gang finally made it to the ferris wheel.