i wanna be the one you would put up a fight for

(moving here not new sorry same as last chapter) 

Sicktember Day Two: Persistent Cough

*

He should really be more worried when his window slides open in the middle of the night.

But the fact that there's no blood, no tears in the suit, no first aid kit already in-hand, Harley only feels relief when the figure tumbles into his bedroom.

Yawning, he sits up to greet his boyfriend, rubbing the sleep from his eyes. He fell asleep pretty early, he's had to adjust his sleep schedule ever since they got together, he had to with how often Peter tumbled through his window.

Peter tugs his mask off, water dripping from his hair and suit. He's grinning but his lips are more blue than pink and there's a stick in his curls.

"What happened to you?" he asks, shaking his head. It's nowhere near the worst state he's seen the superhero, but Peter smells like a swamp and he's leaving a puddle on his nice hardwood.

"What? No Hello Kiss?"

"Not when you smell like you just took a dip in the Hudson."

Peter laughs and rubs the back of his neck. "Actually..."

"I'm not letting you and whatever diseases you've caught anywhere near me until you wash off." Harley wonders just how concerned he should be. Peter's shivering but that doesn't exactly mean a lot in terms of the Hudson in mid-March. There's no blood, his breathing seems steady enough, and he's entirely conscious. It shouldn't bite them in the ass to let Peter shower and go to sleep and move on. Peter's slept off broken bones before.

Peter presses the spider emblem and lets his dirty suit pool around his ankles, leaving him in his damp grey boxer briefs and equally damp grey socks.

"Don't look so worried, this isn't the first time I've ended up in the Hudson."

"You know, that's not as reassuring as you think it is." Harley sighs, softening his voice and posture. "Go take a shower, I'll leave some pajamas on the counter for you, and I'll toss your suit in the wash."

Peter grins, shaking out his chestnut curls. "Thanks, babe."

Cassie, Harley's roommate, stops him in the hallway on his way to wash the suit. She knows about Peter, there's no way they'd be able to keep it a secret from her.

"He okay?"

"Fell in the Hudson, apparently." Harley rolls his eyes, but it's more fondness than real annoyance. If he couldn't handle a night like this, they would've never worked out.

Cassie rolls her eyes too, but hers is definitely more annoyance. She's never really liked Peter. She's had her fair share of superhero adventures, trauma, and near-death experiences, she just wants to finish her senior year and go to medschool and live a normal life, but Spider-Man practically lives with her and drags her into his world constantly.

"No doctors needed?" she asks.

"Nope, I think we're in the clear today."

"Good. I have homework to do." She lifts an eyebrow like she's expecting him to argue. In her defense, he almost always does. He almost always asks her to make some food or check on Peter or help him tidy Peter up.

He shakes his head, letting her return to her room, shoulders slumped in relief. He starts the washing machine with extra detergent in hopes of getting the swampy smell out of the spandex. And finally, he returns to his room to find Peter already in his bed.

Harley can't help but adore Peter like this. Wearing Harley's old Rose Hill Lacrosse Team hoodie and Spider-Man sweatpants Cassie bought him as a gag gift. He smells like Harley's shampoo and soap, like apple and eucalyptus, and their laundry detergent.