1 | white flag

⋆。゚☁︎。⋆。 ゚☾ ゚。⋆

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟏.

| white flag |

❝𝐤𝐧𝐞𝐞𝐥.❞

⋆。゚☁︎。⋆。 ゚☾ ゚。⋆

𝐀𝐔𝐓𝐇𝐎𝐑'𝐒 𝐍𝐎𝐓𝐄.

yes so i may or may not have ditched another fic just to write this one but ayo here to give everyone the darklina endgame they deserved #justiceforaleks (atp just hoping for darklina in the show but my morale is low smh)

a lot of this probably isn't canonically accurate (hah i feel so validated using that mildly fancy term) but my lazy ass can't bother to reread sooo apologies in advance.

enjoy this disastrous dumpster fire of a fic :)

~𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫𝐬 𝐭𝐫𝐮𝐥𝐲

⋆。゚☁︎。⋆。 ゚☾ ゚。⋆

𝐒𝐖𝐈𝐑𝐋𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐓𝐄𝐍𝐃𝐑𝐈𝐋𝐒 of darkness pooled at his feet, and the disgusting, cold feel of them tugged at my bloodied skin.

The world soon became steeped in darkness.

A nichevo'ya had Nikolai in its grasp. Its shifting body of darkness was angled towards me, and if it had eyes, I was sure they would have been piercing into me, promising me of Nikolai's death if I dared to disobey the Darkling.

"Is this what you want, Alina?" the Darkling asked smoothly, ever the picture of calm amidst the storm. "The death of your sobachka prince? Of all your precious little otkazat'sya friends?"

My throat kept constricting as the names increased.

"Of Genya and David? Tamar, Tolya?"

The Darkling, kefta immaculate and dark hair perfect, descended the steps like a god from heaven - except he was the devil incarnate from hell.

He strolled towards me at a leisurely pace, like he had all the time in the world - which he did.

He had already won this war the moment the nichevo'ya had Nikolai in its grasp.

And he knew it. That was what made my blood boil in my veins.

The Darkling bent down so we were at eye level. He leaned forward to place his mouth at my ear, breath hot on the side of my face.

It sent tingles up my spine. And I hated that with every fiber of my being.

I kept my gaze trained on the nichevo'ya crowding around us, alert of their every move.

"Surrender," he whispered, soft and enticing. I shivered - at the horror of his words or the feeling of his close proximity, I didn't know. "Surrender, and I will not hurt them Alina."

My name rolled of his tongue in a way that I had never heard it sound before, and I desperately blocked out the feelings that arose in my chest.

Genya stood helplessly at the side, witnessing the events unfold before her eyes. Her fiery red hair whipped in the frenzied, crazed winds, eyes still defiant with rebellion. Beside her, David was muted, an assessing look on his face.

The flame in Zoya's eyes, much like Genya's, had not been put out yet. Her arms were crossed, seemingly oblivious to the terrors around her, and she glared at me in the way that said, You better not give in to that bastard.

Tolya and Tamar had their hands on their knives - at my command, they would immediately surge back into battle with their lives in the balance, I was sure.

And then there was Mal, My eyes sought his, and in them I found a will of iron steel. It was clear he didn't want me to surrender.

But this was my choice to make, not his.

Staring at my brave friends, awaiting my decision, it made me sick to the stomach. That they would lay down their lives, give up everything for me.

No. The bloodshed had to stop, and it would stop now.

Before the blood of my friends was spilled this time.

I took a shaky breath in, facing the Darkling. Even before answering, his gaze was already triumphant, his stance that of a victor hearing his enemy surrender on the battlefield.

"Okay. I surrender," I conceded softly.

And then more triumph exploded in his glimmering quartz eyes, blazing across his face. A devious, devilish smirk curled his slightly parted lips, as if he had known all along.

He probably had.

"NO!" Mal yelled, but he did not move, knowing that it would cost Nikolai's life. Disbelief crossed both Genya and Zoya's faces. Tamar and Tolya just looked dejected, hopeless. David didn't say a word. 

Nikolai's face was pained as he watched me.

"ALINA, WHAT ARE YOU DOING?" Mal continued to yell. "DON'T GIVE UP!"

I closed my eyes, then looked the Darkling in the eye.

"But you will not hurt them. Promise me."

The Darkling shook his head, a cold, malicious laugh bursting from his lips. "You have my word, Alina."

Not that his word counted for a lot.

The Darkling's voice was cool and emotionless as he spoke the next sentence, but there were sparks of glee in his eyes.

"Kneel."

Defeat was heavy in my chest as I got down on one knee, then two. I didn't dare to look up at him, to see his face.

The Darkling positioned his hand on my chin, tilting it up. I was forced to meet his gaze, and what I found shocked me. A flash of regret and sorrow replaced the triumph in his eyes briefly, but then it was gone so quick I doubted it was ever there.

A cold smile - more like a smirk - curled his lips, pale face glowing with the joy of victory. A sense of hopelessness settled into my chest, and tears broke free from my eyes, snaking their way down my cheeks. The cold shadows wiped them away, but I only cried harder.

I had waved the white flag, and there was no going back.

⋆。゚☁︎。⋆。 ゚☾ ゚。⋆