Elf Hijinks at the Water Park

Start from the beginning

He grumbled a little more and pulled back on the black t-shirt. Charlie, who had been waiting patiently for us to figure out the shirt situation was fidgeting, watching the pool and waterslides just a few feet away.

"Hold on, sunscreen-" Charlie took off towards the pool as soon as he saw Bernard take a step forward. I grabbed Charlie's arm. "Do elves get sunburned?" I looked at Bernard curiously. "I didn't think about that. Do I have magic skin?"

"I had a buddy who visited Jamaica on vacation and he came back very red and burnt. So yes, we do burn. Worse than most because we never see this type of sun at the Pole."

"Darn, I get magic that can make mountains of garlands appear out of nowhere and turn water into hot chocolate but I can't naturally protect my skin from the sun?" I sighed and grabbed the bottle of sunscreen out, coating Charlie in a thick coat. I then made sure to put some on myself, as I was as white as a skeleton. Handing the bottle to Bernard, he crinkled his nose.

"This stuff smells strange." He frowned. I noticed that when the two of us talked, he either looked directly into my eyes or literally anywhere else other than me. When we weren't talking, he mostly paid attention to Charlie, or again, literally anywhere else in the park.  

"Well do you want to end up a tomato by the end of the day? At least get your neck."

"Angie, you should help him get his neck so he can reach-" Charlie started saying.

Bernard and I gave Charlie a look and he stopped talking.

After that, we were finally ready. The three of us walked over to the pool. Charlie jumped in and immediately started paddling around and splashing us.

"Get in. Get in. Get in." He would emphasize with each chlorine-filled splash.

"Okay, okay! Stop with the splashing!" Bernard waved his hands. He awkwardly slid into the pool and just stood there not moving.

"Angie! Come. ON!" Charlie then went to just splashing me.

I laughed at him, he was so excited. I loved seeing him like this. I took a couple of steps back, ran forward, and cannonball jumped into the deeper end of the pool.

"Hey kid, no running by the pool!" The lifeguard yelled at me along with a couple of toots of her whistle.

"Woah, Angie that was such a big splash!!" Charlie jumped up and down. Once I swam closer to them, he asked me, "Can we do a chicken fight?"

"What is a chicken fight? Where would you get chickens from?" Bernard's dark eyes darted around as if a chicken was about to fly down out of the sky.

"Charlie, there isn't enough people to do a chicken fight." I shook my head with a smile at Bernard's confusion.

"You could ask another kid to join!' Charlie said as if that was a normal thing.

"I don't think so," I laughed.

"What... humans fight with chickens? How strange."

"No, you have to climb on eachothers shoulders and kick eachother until the one on top falls off!" Charlie explained with a giant smile.

"That sounds horrifying." Bernard said with wide eyes. He was still just standing there with his arms crossed.

"Don't worry, we won't be doing that," I laughed again. "We'd need at least four people. And it's not as violent as you think, it's actually fun."

"Well maybe if you do convince the other elves to build a pool we could try that," Bernard said very thoughtfully, "Although I still don't understand the appeal." He was becoming self-aware of exactly how little he actually knew about "human culture", and I could tell that he was becoming more curious, even if he did think some things were odd.