Now the fiction felt closer to the truth.

With a sigh, I had sunk into the seat cushion and played with the end of Jeremy's tie. All duelers were required to wear suits even to practice. "They're gonna be gone longer than usual and I told you, they always forget to call."

"Maybe next time, we can go with them."

"Yeah, maybe."

The whole reason I started dating Jeremy was the lecture my mother did on the negative effects of displacing dragons for residential development. We sat in the same row and couldn't stop making eyes at each other. I had already knew about Jeremy since he was on the same dueling team with David, but we had never spoken until then. Never pressed our knees together without wanting to move. The only question Jeremy had at the end of the discussion was how to secure my number.

I didn't have the heart to tell Jeremy that if they never brought me on these journeys, then it was never going to happen for him either. The only people my parents liked were each other. Everyone came second to animals.

My phone buzzed in my back pocket and I jumped.

It was a text from David:

DAVID: [Where are you? If Gretchen breaks my kneecaps for missing practice, you'll have to carry me everywhere.]

CALVIN: [Would Gretchen really take out her best dueler?]

DAVID: [I can still cast with broken legs]

I cracked a smile and started to text him that I'd be there soon when another message from David appeared.

DAVID: [Also, don't let Jeremy hear you say that. I'd hate to chip the man's ego before nationals.]

A lump of dread plummeted to the bottom of my stomach. My thumbs hovered over my phone screen as I tried to think of a response so casual, it would have the power to erase the building tension between me and my childhood best friend. And yet, thinking of David typing this made my toes curl.

"You're frozen again," Jeremy said.

"Uh, yeah, sorry. I'll uh be normal in time for the party tonight," I told myself more than I promised Jeremy.

"Let's skip the party."

"What? But—"

"Come on," Jeremy insisted and ran his hand through my hair. His hands were so big. They felt like they could encase every bad thought in my head and crush them into dust. "Let's just stay home. I'll probably be too tired to go out tonight and I can tell you need a breather too. Besides, the Spring Fling is in a couple of days and that's impossible to skip. Let's just chill tonight. Just us."

"Okay." I smiled. "That actually sounds nice. I can cook."

"Don't threaten me."

AUTHOR'S NOTE

AUTHOR'S NOTE

I love Calvin and David and all of Calvin's ex-boyfriends, haha (well. maybe not all of them 👀). It's just all fun and quirk and soft romance~ Enjoy!

Please leave a comment with what you think! Looks like Calvin and Jeremy are dating~ And not Cal and David?? How long do you think they'll last? And Jeremy Familiar is a Lion! If you could have a Familiar, what animal do you think it'll be? What would you hope for? 

And! If you like this book, please consider checking out my other books~