𝐅𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐧𝐝 𝐨𝐫 𝐒𝐨𝐫𝐫𝐨𝐰 𝐈

Start from the beginning

"How did you get down here?" blasted Xaviera.

"Rowan showed me." replies Saturday curtly, in his sharp, deep voice.

His eyelids flutters as he looks down a second, then back up to meet her olive gaze. "Left pocket."

Xaviera hurriedly glances at her fellow members: Bianco, Ajax and Yuki, to name a few, then swiftly approaches the tied up boy.

She reaches inside his left short pocket and pulls out the piece of paper.

Unfolding it, she sees half of the prophecy: a tall lean boy with floppy black hair and ghostly pale skin in his black and grey Nevermore uniform was standing in a sea of flames, the school in the background burning to the ground.

"I tracked the watermark from the page down to the Poe statue. Then I solved the riddle." Saturday says, matter-of-factly, in his usual cold tone.

"Wait, there's a riddle?" asks the merman student, obviously confused. "I thought we just snapped twice." His fellow members: the other siren boy Bianco's 'right hand', Ajax and the vampire boy Yuki, all furrowed their eyebrows and shook their heads at him, telling him wordlessly to stop embarrassing himself and the current society.

"Well, aren't you the brightest in the bunch?" questions Saturday emotionlessly.

The merman could only stare back blankly, his bruised eye still prominent on his pale face.

"The Nightshades are an elite social club." came Bianco's condescending deep voice, smooth as butter, his feathered, winged silver eye mask placed on top of his black head like a crown. "Emphasis on elite."

"We have roof parties, campouts, the occasional midnight skinny-dip." says the tall, pale, black haired Asian vampire, who waggles his eyebrows as he looks at Ajax, Bianco's right hand man and Bianco himself.

"And Yuki's an amateur mixologist." complements Bianco's right hand man, his sleek dark brown hair pulled back, the light paling his already pale skin. 

"He makes a killer virgin mojito. It can get pretty wild." adds Ajax, his voice deep, grinning suggestively, his silver mask hung on his neck. Yuki smirks at the compliment.

Saturday's obsidian pupils zone in on him. "Wow. Do you guys even have a bedtime?" he compliments flatly.

Yuki stops smirking and Ajax stops looking suggestive.

"Last I heard, the Nightshades had been disbanded." the brooding boy glares straight at the black King.

"Yeah, the group kind of lost its charter 30 years ago after some normie kid died." explains Xaviera, frowning and shaking her head of golden brown locks ever so slightly as her glance flickers around the group of boys.

Saturday looks in her direction, in interest.

"But we have a lot of wealthy alumni, so Weems looks the other way as long as nobody makes any waves." finishes Yuki proudly.

The brooding, ghostly pale boy, looks straight ahead once more.

"Someone like Rowan?" cuts in Saturday sharply, cooly.

Bianco frowns, creating deep lines between his eyes. "We booted that loser last semester." he replies deeply, with annoyance.

Saturday turns his head ever so slightly so that he was looking directly forward, his dark bangs giving him an incredibly creepy look, albeit darkly handsome.

"Question is, what are we gonna do with him?" asks Bianco arrogantly, looking around at his fellow members. "Only members are allowed in this library."

Xaviera looks down at Saturday with furrowed brown eyebrows: large hands tied behind his back, sitting in that thin wooden chair, legs arrogantly apart. She thought that he looked very much in charge, even though he had the least physical freedom, like a Mafia Don silently manoeuvring his troops inside his head, pulling invisible strings, and again, a heavy wave of admiration floods her small chest.

"I say we invite him to pledge." she suggests, with confidence in her voice.

"What?"

"He is a legacy." with the prophecy page in between her thin fingers, she points to Saturday's parents picture on the wall. Saturday also turns his head slightly, to give his Father a glance.

"After the crap he pulled in the Poe Cup, there's no way in hell." retorts Bianco, anger building up inside him again, eyebrows still furrowed. "We talk about not making waves? He's a tsunami." The siren argued relentlessly. He had also smoothly taken a black arm out of his hooded cloak and made some gestures while speaking.

"Just because I beat you at your own game? Let me save you the trouble. I'm not interested in joining." declines Saturday icily, placing emphasis on the word 'interested', for reassurance.

Xaviera looks disappointedly down at him, furrowed eyebrows creating lines between her olive eyes.

"You're seriously turning us down?" asks Yuki, disbelief plastered across his pale face and laced in his deep voice.

"Can you believe it?" the tied up, brooding boy mocks coldly, glaring at Yuki.

Yuki found himself turning away from that scorchingly icy gaze, frowning at Ajax, who returns the expression.

"Untie him." commands Bianco.

"I freed myself five minutes ago." returns Saturday nonchalantly, holding up the loose rope in his long fingers.

The members all frown, undoubtedly exasperated.

He swiftly stands up, snatches the prophecy from Xaviera's small hand and turns to go.

The merman blocks his way. Saturday, who was taller by far, stared him down.

"Do you want a matching black eye?" the brooding boy asks with menace, slapping the rope into the merman's broad chest.

The boy with the black eye could only move aside as Saturday stalks past, back up the spiral staircase.

Xaviera scoffs in disbelief. 

Halfway to the top, Saturday stops and looks down, at what he considers to be the 'hopeless members' of the Nightshade society. "It's amateurs like you who give kidnapping a bad name." he scoffs coldly, no emotion on his perfect features as he disappears up the stairs.

Xaviera glances at Bianco, who glances back.

☟☟☟