IV

♪♫ Gair sa hua khud se bhi,

Na koi mera

Dard se karle chal yaari,

Dil ye keh raha

Kholun jo baahein,

Bas gum ye simat rahe hain

Aankhon ke aage,

Lamhe ye kyun ghat rahe hain

Jaane kaise koi, sehta judaiyan...♪♫

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kabir walked into the kitchen to see Ahana cooking which was a rare sight because she leaves early, comes back late, and doesn't take a day off.

"Hey!"

She looked over her shoulder and smiled but it looked a little sad. "Hey!"

"What's cooking?" he walked a little closer to look.

"Dal makhani, Ma's favourite!"

He smiled, remembering that today was her mother's death anniversary. Badi Ma once told him that every year, on this day, Ahana makes Varsha aunty's favourite dishes in her memory.

"Ahana beta, are you done with the dishes?" His Badi Ma—Mrs. Neela Jaisingh—asked while entering the kitchen. "Kabir? What are you doing here?"

"I came for water!" he blurted out the first thing that came to his mind.

She narrowed her eyes at him but turned to Ahana. "Is he saying the truth, Ahana, or was he troubling you?"

He looked at Ahana with pleading eyes, to save him. "The dishes are ready, Neela Ma, and no, he wasn't troubling me."

She still looked at both of them suspiciously. "Are you sure?"

"Yes."

"Okay, I believe you."

▪◀▩▶▪

It was noon when he stepped out of his room as an important meeting came up. He hadn't seen Ahana after they left the kitchen in the morning.

He was about to walk into the living room when he heard Badi Ma's voice. He stepped a little closer to see her sitting on the sofa with Mehar—his sister-in-law. He didn't want to eavesdrop but they were talking about Ahana so he stood there, listening. They didn't see him as he was still out of their sight.

"You are my daughter, Mehar but, Ahana is like my daughter too and you have said so many hurtful things to her today. You didn't think once before speaking." Neela looked disappointed.

"She deserved it, Ma. She deserved all of it." Mehar sounded a little angry.

"No, she didn't. I know that you are grieving your mother but so is she."