We were mistaken.

"What do you want? I'm not sure what else you wanted me to do," I said quietly. "I wasn't going to kill the cop; I was just having a good time with my friends. I didn't know we were going to get the cops called on us. If I did, I wouldn't go because I know how fuckimg psychotic you are."

"Watch your mouth, young lady," She shouts even louder and moves closer to me. Before I can react, her hand is on my cheeks, sending a shockwave through my body. I inhaled deeply and gripped my hurting cheeks.

"Who threw this party?" She said, "Don't You dare lie," while gritting her teeth. "Now I have to pay just to keep your record clean. Do you believe that people would hire criminals?

I tremble at the sound of thunder and briefly chuckle to myself. I despised arguing with my mother.

"It wasn't even a serious crime!" I yell out to her "I don't murder people like you— I didn't steal, You're a criminal, not me."

"You snuck onto private property to throw a party; you're lucky whoever owns it didn't do more than just call the cops on you." She chuckles, "I would have killed you if it had been me. I would kill anyone who entered my property without permission."

I grimace "I wish he had done more. Nobody is as insane as you, mother. That is repulsive."

"Watch your mouth." She says it again while holding my jaw. "Do not talk to me like I'm your friend. You value me. Do you listen to me? You respect me."

" I am."

"Not at all, no. You are an unappreciative brat. I go above and beyond for you, and all you do is whine."

" What did I do?" I swallowed hard " You always—"

A loud piercing sound of windows shattering caused my head to jerk toward the living room before returning my stare to my mother.

" Mom?" I say nervously. In just a few minutes she pulls out a gun while another glass shatters. "Mom! What's going on?"My heart was racing in my chest, and my breath was catching in my throat as I stuttered nervously. I could feel sweat dripping down my face and my body trembling with fear.

"Juliet," she gritted her teeth; my ears were ringing from the sound of more glass shattering, from different directions of the house.

"Pick up the gun." She jerks her head toward the direction of the one on the counter.

I shook my head. " Mom! I can't—I don't know how."

"Hide," she says, her brown eyes piercing my soul. There was something about it in her eyes, she looked scared, ducking when more glass broke. She wrapped her hand harder around the gun and looked me over once. "Hide and don't come out until I come to get you."

I was startled awake and immediately sat up straight, my ears ringing along with my phone. As I looked around, the bathroom light illuminated the room. It was as if I were looking for her dead body, even though she wasn't there.

My eyes close, and the ringing of my phone continues. I reach for it, taking a sharp breath and ignoring the way my heart wants to jump out of my chest.