Chapter 7- Christmas Eve

Scott and I were taking a walk late one night. Scott said it was to distract his mind, but I knew better. He wanted to see Charlie. We walked past Neil and Laura's house. Charlie looked miserable as he sat at the dinner table.

"Enough is enough."

Scott rang the doorbell to the Miller residence. Neil answered it.

"Hey, Neil." Scott grabbed my hand and walked through the door.

"Scott. (Y/n). You're not supposed to be here."

"Don't make me beat you up, Neil," Scott said, annoyed.

"Oh. Would Santa really beat someone up?" Neil taunted.

"I'm this close." Scott held up a mitten.

"So you still believe you're Santa?" Neil stopped Scott from fully entering the house.

"I don't know." Scott shrugged.

"What do you mean, you don't know?"

Scott ducked under Neil's arm. I followed him. "Of course you are, Dad. How could you say that? Think of all those kids."

"The only kid I'm thinking about is you," Scott admitted.

"Dad, I'm fine." Charlie was set down by Laura. "You can't let them down. They all believe in you."

"Charlie, listen-"

"You listen!" Charlie snapped. "You think you know who he is? You don't!"

"Charlie." Laura crouched down to Charlie's eye level. "Honey, listen. You're confused."

"I know exactly who he is." Charlie pouted.

"Charlie. He's not Santa," Neil snapped.

"He is too, Santa!" Charlie retorted. "We went to the North Pole together, (Y/n) too. I saw it. Bernard called me sport, because he knew everything." Charlie looked at us. "Right, Dad? Remember!"

Charlie tossed him the snow globe. The snow globe Bernard gave him. Scott smiled. He remembered. Charlie ran up to his father and hugged him. Charlie pulled me into the hug too, making me giggle.

"Thank you, Charlie. Thank you," Scott breathed.

"I love you, Dad," Charlie whispered.

"Could you guys leave us alone for a minute? I mean, so I could say goodbye to him properly?" Scott asked.

Neil and Laura walked off after a moment.

"You saw! You saw the ball come to life!" Charlie realized.

"You bet I did," Scott replied. "Now, Charlie, I guess I better go."

"I'll go get our stuff." Charlie walked up the stairs.

Scott stopped him. "I think it's a much better idea for you to stay here with your mom."

"I wanna be with you, Dad." Charlie looked at me. "I want to be with both of you."

"Boy, I love hearing you say that." Scott smiled at him.

"You mean I could go?" Charlie asked with hope.

I heard a twinkling sound and looked at Charlie in confusion.

"Boy, that bird is dry. Haven't you people heard about basting?"