Moons

Ava Romano

I sighed resting my back on the wall, it had been two days since we were taken from the hotel and those two days had been nothing but bitter. It was a shock to discover that Zoe's father, Mr Burgio had been behind everything that happened in the past months, including the death of Laura.

I still find it hard to believe he was doing this because he claimed I turned his family against him from the day Zoe decided to change her religion to Christianity.

Zoe groaned painfully from beside me, the large gash on her lower belly was worsening as it had not been attended to. Her father also locked her in here with Alice and I for reasons best known to him.

I snapped my head upward as much as my hand could allow, one of his men who I recognised as the one who tied me up in the hotel walked in, he was carrying a plastic trail. He mumbled something before dropping the trail on the muddy floor, it consisted of our usual; three stale dry bread for each one of us and three cups of what they said was tea which only had a layer of brown, I thought he was sand when I first saw it.

"You should eat up before the boss addresses you" He grumbled, his eyes trained on me. I felt self conscious, my shorts had torn in some places revealing too much skin.

Alice scoffed "Yeah, we should eat with tied hands, we are not dogs-" Bang.

She didn't get to finish speaking as a backhand slap went straight to her face which previously had the print of large palms. I flinched feeling like I wax on the receiving end, if i was not tied up, he would have gotten a piece of my long nails.

"She was saying the truth. Besides that, I thought you said your boss has money then why are we eating leftovers?" I questioned diverting the unwarranted attention away from Alice. He stared at me with an evil smile before kneeling, I held in a breath as he took my face, his tight grip prevented me from pulling away.

"Darling, you should be grateful for the leftover. You are so beautiful, I wish you were mine instead of that scumbag you call an husband" His stinking breath was so close to my nose as his hand wanted to the waistline of my shorts.

I spat into his face pushing him with the little strength I had, he stumbled backward in shock before wiping the spit off his face. I screamed when his hand clenched unto my hair pulling it with so much force, my face was slammed to the floor continously with a speed faster than that of light.

"Get your hand off her now" A feminine voice shouted but with the loud ringing going through my head, I didn't know who it belonged to.

I assure you I saw moons instead of stars.

"Sam, leave her alone. Boss won't be happy if you get his bait killed" Another voice spoke before my head was released, the thick drops of blood on the floor was confirmation my nose was bleeding, I licked the metallic taste off.

The fellow who saved me sent me a curt nod as they both left the room, shutting the door behind them. I remained on the floor staring at the blood that ran down my broken nose, the pain going through my head was indescribable.

"I'm sorry Ava, this was my fault. I should have listened to my father, I promise I never knew he was tbe one after your life, I'm really sorry, Ava" Zoe apologized for the countless time since she was brought here, I understood it wasn't her fault, she never knew who her father.

I was about to respond with an 'it's okay' when it was not okay but was interrupted by Alice.

"Maybe if you have warned us earlier, we would not have been kidnapped" Alice snorted, probably glaring at the poor girl. She didn't believe Zoe didn't know of her father's plan, all she had been doing was blaming Zoe nonstop.