Part 37: The Beginning Of The End

Start from the beginning

I smirked which only confused Mercury Black smoke started to emerge from my hand cannon. I shot at the floor at the right angle to where Mercury's back was hit by the bullet making him take a big hit from his aura. He dropped on the floor slightly causing Ruby to be let go.

She glanced at me not an ounce of her wanted to leave me behind but she used her semblance to get away. I smiled that she listened and didnt stay. I realised she took my scythe as well which was a bummer.

I looked at Mercury who was now standing up recovered from the hit. He smirked and crossed his arm.

Mercury: Lucky Shot.

Y/n: ...

I was thinking about the smartest thing to do. I should probably run. I had a chance of dying to this muppet. I started to run however because I wasnt my Happy self I had a deferment in speed which allowed Mercury to catch up.

Mercury: Oh no you don't.

I started to get angry. My eyes had a feint glow of red. I was losing valuable time. I shot a few shots which allowed me to lose him since he didn't want to get hit. I finally make it towards the Door.

I saw Ruby on the Floor crying. I go to her and kneel and put a hand on her back. She flinched as I did so and only knelt further.

Y/n: Ruby-

Ruby: "What am I going to say to him!? I promised him she wouldnt die."

Y/n: (Gasped with a horrified look) Penny...

I took my hand off of her back and it changed as if it was lifeless. I was at a loss for words. Tears threatened to fall. I dropped down and Ruby put her hand on my back this time.

Ruby: (Sobbing) I'm so sorry, Y/n. Im so sorry...

Y/n: ...

Mercury caught up and looked at us when he peered through the door. He smirked but knew not to engage me in a duel right now as he knew he would not come out better from it.

CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT (IMPORTANT)

From this situation Y/n has learned to trust his own judgement more rather than the . He becomes more selfish in the situations where he has another person around him and is now more likely to trust himself more than others. He is not More selfish outside of combat situations. He just has more distrust and is more doubtful of Decisions that he thinks should be a different way.

He blames himself for not Saving penny as he could've just taken on Mercury with his scythe and had allowed Ruby to Run away. Which he believes would've worked out better.

This type of this will be more prevalent in later volumes and I think it's a neat feature that shows the growth in our character as a not only a person but a fighter.

No POV

In answer, the background behind the two teachers changes to the video feed of the sight before them, tinted an ominous bright red with a black queen chess piece hovering over the scene. They turn back to the arena as a familiar voice rings out throughout the Colosseum and the rest of the world watching these events.

Cinder: This is not a tragedy. This was not an accident. This is what happens when you hand over your trust, your safety, your children, to men who claim to be our guardians, (Several audience members look uneasy, while Jaune is seen mouth agape in shock) but are, in reality, nothing more than men. (seen standing on a rooftop, speaking into her Scroll) Our Academies' Headmasters wield more power than most armies, and one was audacious enough to control both.