chapter 2

The Eagrelan Kingdom, Bluerise City, Slums

In the weekly market that is situated in the center of the slums, countless people were walking back and forth looking at all kinds of merchandise. From fruits to meat and everything in between.

The merchants were doing their best to attract every customer that reached their vicinity. Living in the slums was a tedious thing, one bad day at work as a merchant and you could stay without food for days. That's why fights over customers are nothing out of the ordinary.

This situation also applied to the people that live there albeit with even more intensity. Being dirt poor was the norm in this area, this explains the shabby clothes of most people in the market. In fact, almost no decently well-off human will have the desire nor the audacity to live in the slums unless he had a death wish.

"How much are these berries, geezer?" Two tall and skinny men halted in front of a stall and asked the old man sitting silently.

The old man looked frail to the point where anyone could mistake him for a skeleton. He held his wooden can to his side as he gazed at the two customers.

"7 copper coins." The old man answered after some time.

"7 copper coins?! Did you get these berries from Ecrasia or something?! This is outrageous!" One of them shouted angrily. His loud voice made the old man flinch in annoyance.

He glared at him with an extremely cold look and said in a slow manner "7...copper...coins."

The skinny man felt the threatening aura that oozed out of the old man. He could've started a fight but he didn't want to grab the attention of the population around him. He needed those berries urgently so he clenched his teeth in frustration.

"Fuck! Fine, give me 3 kilos of these." He said.

"That will be 24 copper coins."

Then, the man took the huge amount of berries and intended to walk away. However...

*Swish*

"Huh?!" A weird voice came out of his mouth in shock. He looked ahead of him and saw a small child holding a bag full of berries and running away at an alarming speed.

"Shit! He stole the berries!! We need to get him!" The man cursed as he pulled his friend and started running between the masses.

The bustling market made their chase even more tedious. They barely could see the small frame of the child as he ran left and right.

"This piece of shit! If we don't catch him, our plans will go down the drain! Hurry up!!" The man shouted in fury.

The chase lasted for 30 minutes. They chased him all the way from the market to the outskirts of the slums where the population was quite scarce.

"Shit! I can't run anymore! I feel like I will faint!" The other man suddenly halted his steps and bent down on his knees gasping for air.

"I will follow him! Come after me."

The boy had already taken a turn in the near alley.

They could still see where he went so the man didn't want to lose his tracks.

When he turned to the alley that the boy went to. He found the child standing in front of the wall motionless. It was a dead end.

"Hahaha! You bastard! You thought you could run away! I will beat you up for making me run like this!"

However, the child didn't react to his voice as if he didn't hear him. This infuriated the man even more. So, he approached him and grabbed him roughly from the shoulder.