Chapter 29: Who is Amari?

Depuis le début

Shinobu smiles at you, seeing you play with your earrings. Her eyes glance back to her clipboard, going back to the check up.

Meanwhile, Tanjiro walks to Shinobu's office, needing to talk to her about something. Right as he's about to knock on the door, he hears a voice.

"So, Y/n, dear, have your thoughts about marriage changed?" He hears Shinobu ask, causing him to furrow his brows. "I asked you a few days ago, and you refused to marry."

"No. I'm still not going to marry, or be in a relationship." You were quick to answer, which lead him to feel a ping in his heart.

"I never asked, even before this, because I would never force you. But I can't help but wonder." There a pause and he hears something be placed down. "Why do you really not want to be in a relationship?"

"Because it won't last."

"Please explain what you mean."

"My job as a Demon Slayer constantly puts my life on the line. I won't put the burden of fear that i'd one day die, on my lover. And I don't don't want to die mid way before I get a chance to even reach proposal.

"Y/n, dear..."

"And besides that, I am still a black woman. I'm sorry but few of your race of people except me, i'm sure you know.  I doubt anyone would want to be with me, let alone marry me."

"But what about-"

"Even if someone was to see past that, it would never work. They wouldn't be able to be seen with me in public most times, fore they would be heavily judged. I refuse to place that burden on anyone. If I manage to survive this, i'll leave Japan and go back home, Africa. And I would marry someone of my own race, where I wouldn't be judge no longer."

There's a loud silence, he could imagine the extremely surprised look on Shinobu's face as she spoke with sadness. "But what about Amari?"

Tanjiro was confused by the mention of the name he'd never heard. Who is Amari?

"My fiance was an exception, because his skin was only few shades lighter. He loved me more than I would ever know, and for that he'll always hold a place on my heart. But as you can see, he is not here. And it's because of me. I will carry that burden for as long as I live and I will not carrying another."

"Y/n, please don't think so negatively. Don't blame yourself."

"I'm afraid I can't help it. It's only the truth and i've come to terms with it a very young age." Renae answered and there was a moment of pause. "I'd like to focus on the check up, please."

". . .Of course. . ."

Tanjiro backs away from the door with his eyes wide. For a moment, he didn't know what to think or feel.

Is this really what you thought? Did you really have a fiance? What happened to him? Did your way of thinking change when you met Tanjiro?

These were all the questions circling his head but it appeared it wouldn't be getting those answers by just standing there. But he couldn't find it in him to face you either.

So he takes another step away from the door, but felt himself back into someone. He jumped but made sure not to make a sound as to alarm you two.

"Tomioka?" He whispers out in surprise. His eyes catching sight of the Hashira leaning against the wall, staring blankly at him.

"Follow me." Giyu began walking away, having a puzzled Tanjiro watching bewildered before catching up to him.

The two walk in silence. Well, silence from Giyu at least. Tanjiro would constantly ask questions every two minutes. Only to be dismissed by Giyu.