I looked up at him, noting the worry in his eyes and shook my head, smiling slightly as butterflies exploded in my stomach. "No, I'm fine," I said. "Shall we get started?"

Regulus nodded and flicked his wand, playing a song on the record player as he walked towards me, placing his hands on my waist with more confidence than he did yesterday. I nearly melted on the spot. Instead, I placed my arms on his shoulder and we started dancing, Regulus changing my posture here and there and offering helpful tips.

"You're thinking about it too much," Regulus noted as he twirled me around. I stumbled a bit but didn't fall over. "Try to relax. Think about something else."

"Like what?" I asked, growing frustrated as I messed up the steps again.

"When are you going to get your dress?"

I sighed, knowing he was trying to distract me, but if it meant talking to him I didn't mind that much.

"Tomorrow," I said. "I'm going with Marlene, Lily, and Mary."

Regulus made a face as I mentioned Lily and Mary. I frowned. "What was that for?"

Regulus looked at me strangely before stating simply, "they're Mudbloods."

I stopped dancing, pushing myself away from him angrily as I scowled. "What the fuck? Why would you say something like that?"

"Because they are," Regulus answered, sounding ticked off.

"They're my friends," I spat.

Regulus scoffed. "Doesn't change the fact they're Mudbloods."

"Fuck off," I snarled, turning on my heel and storming out of the room.

I headed for the Gryffindor Common Room, still in a rage by the time I arrived. I trudged into the room, noticing the marauders sitting by the fire, sour expressions on their faces.

"I can't believe we messed up the prank," Peter said miserably.

So, their prank went wrong and that was why they were in a bad mood. We could be in a bad mood together. I sat down across from them, instantly going on a rant about how infuriating Regulus was and what absolute shit he spouted sometimes. Talking to the marauders about him actually helped calm me down a bit, though it seemed to have an opposite effect on them as they all groaned.

"What's that supposed to mean?" I asked.

"You always talk about him," James complained, a little harsher than he needed to be.

"No I don't," I defended.

Sirius snorted. I glared at him, and he stared back defiantly.

"You kind of do," Peter said.

I glowered at all of them. "No, I don't. He can just be so annoying sometimes-"

"Merlin, if you're so obsessed with him why don't you just go and ask him to the Yule Ball?" Sirius snapped, James laughing harshly.

I stood up; upset by the way they were acting. "Fine! I will!"

"Sure you will," James said sarcastically.

I spun around and left the Common Room, deciding to go to the kitchens. Food always cheered me up. On the way though, I bumped into Regulus, the boy looking surprised to see me before sighing.

"Listen, if you're here to yell at me, just leave it- "

"Take me to the dance," I interrupted.

Regulus froze, mouth slightly agape as he blinked at me. He managed a flustered, "what?" and I explained the marauders nasty taunts. Instantly I regretted it, knowing Regulus would say no and it would ruin whatever friendship we'd made.

"Okay," Regulus stated.

It was my turn to blink at him, shocked. "Okay?"

"Okay."

"Oh, um okay," I stammered, surprised he said yes. Once the initial shock wore off though, I narrowed my eyes at him. "And about earlier-" Regulus groaned but I continued on. "-whatever your views are about blood status, Lily and Mary are still my friends, and I won't let you disrespect them like that. Calling them slurs just because of how they were born is wrong, and I know you know better than that. Try to think of them without the prejudice, because if you do you'll find they're just the same as everyone else. Okay?"

Regulus looked at me in silence, almost like he was ashamed. He looked away as he answered me.

"Fine. I won't call them anything. I'm... I'm sorry."

I was surprised I'd gotton an apology from him, and a smile grew across my face.

"Thank you," I said softly. "I'll um, see you at the dance I guess. Well, obviously before then but like, I will see you at the dance so-"

"Goodbye Y/n," Regulus said, amused.

"Bye Regulus," I replied quickly, before walking away.

As soon as I turned the corner I jumped up and down, pumping my fist in the air as my heart soared.

I was going to the Yule Ball with Regulus Black.

A/N:

i was bored so i decided to update.

so, like, regulus was a real bitch this chapter, but y/n had a talk with him and encouraged him to look past the prejudice his parents planted in his brain. i want everyone to know that regulus isn't a bad guy. he doesn't understand calling muggleborns anything other than slurs. he was brainwashed at a young age and this prejudice is ingrained in his brain. he's working on it, yes, but he will always have some of that prejudice, and currently he still has a long way to go and still views himself superior to muggleborns. he learns overtime that he's wrong, so i implore you not to hate him because of what he said. living in an abusive household effects you greatly, and though i'm not blaming his actions on trauma, i am saying that his views on things are greatly influenced by his parents because he does not have the freewill to explore other options.

sorry for the rant, i just didn't want people to hate regulus.

anywho, hope you enjoyed the chapter!