Chapter 27

Saturday 11th December, 1976

"And so we danced," I finished telling Lily. "It was really nice."

Lily grinned at me. "I'm so happy for you."

I grinned back, feeling excited as I thought about the dancing lesson I had with Regulus later that day. It was breakfast and the marauders hadn't arrived yet, nor had Mary and Marlene, so I decided that was the perfect time to tell Lily about my dancing lessons with Regulus.

"So, what about you and James?" I asked slyly. "How's that going?"

Lily's smile tightened and she looked down at her hands. I knew something was up, and waited for her to speak.

"He still hasn't asked me yet," she confessed. "I'm scared he might have finally given up on me."

"James would never give up on you Lily," I assured her. "He's probably just planning something big and elaborate for you."

Lily sighed miserably. "I wish he wouldn't.

"Why don't you ask him before he has a chance to do all of it then?" I suggested.

Lily looked thoughtful at my suggestion, humming in answer as she turned back to her food. Just then, the marauders, as well as Mary and Marlene, arrived in the Great Hall, all six of them making their way over to us and sitting down.

"I won't find a date in time for the Yule Ball," Marlene complained as soon as she sat down. "I had this horrible nightmare last night about it, and basically...."

My eyes widened as I realised I didn't have a date either, and that I might not get one in time for the dance. I half-listened to Marlene explain her nightmare, fretting over who I would take myself. I wanted to go with Regulus, obviously, but he would never say yes, which meant I'd have to go with someone I didn't like or want to go with.

"James, will you go to the Yule Ball with me?" Lily asked, interrupting Marlene's ramble.

Everyone went silent, staring at Lily in shock, James most of all. His mouth was hanging open as he blinked at Lily, once, twice, three times.

"M-me?" he asked, pointing towards himself.

Lily nodded her head in amusement, a small smile on her face. "Yes James, you."

James opened his mouth and then closed it, no sound coming out. He tried again, and again, but when he couldn't say anything he just settled for nodding his head very enthusiastically. I smiled, sending Lily a thumbs up, who smiled back at me, though her eyes kept darting back to James.

Lily, Mary, and Marlene eventually left to go study, and as soon as they were out of ear-shot James immediately started obsessing over everything that happened this morning, wondering if this meant they were dating or if she just asked him as a friend.

I started regretting my talk to Lily as James continued talking about it to me up until lunch. All those hours that could have been spent studying, playing exploding snap, or anything else that interested me, wasted on James's endless chatter on what he was going to wear to the ball and whether or not he needed to get a matching outfit with Lily. I was happy for him though, which was the only reason I endured his rambling for half of the day.

After lunch though, I left him to meet Regulus at our spot, feeling anticipation thrumming inside me. When I entered the room I found Regulus looking out of the giant window, the sun reflecting off his face making him resemble an angel. He looked so beautiful I felt a little breathless.

Regulus turned to look at me when he heard the door open and I found myself feeling shy, looking down at my shoes instead of making eye contact.

"Is something wrong?" Regulus asked, instantly sensing something off.