55. I Am Your Eyes, You Are My Sword (2 of 2)

The seals on the Queen's burial chambers remained intact, but Peleth took over a foyer intended for the rituals and prayers.

Three plump lotus-bud columns supported a painted ceiling with Yansara, Gala and the stars. In life, they worshiped Tashaya, but in death their eyes turned to Them of the Evernight.

The River Vash circled the walls, souls entering it, pleading the Divines on the ceiling, while the Bhutas lurked under the water, on the floor, ready to devour the sinners who could not be dissolved and cleansed. New souls emerged upon the Eastern wall, ready to live again as humans or beasts or plants. There, predictably, stood Tashaya with a welcoming smile on Their face wreathed in fire.

The Queen waded into the River Vash, easily recognizable because she was three times the size of any other soul. She emerged on the other side as an eternal star with human features, ready to rise and take her place in the Divines' flock.

On the floor, amidst the writhing Bhutas, sat the woman I came to kill. Cross-legged, hands folded over the heart in meditation, ready to spring.

Parneres slumped against a column, wrists bound, eyes glazed over with pain, horror, guilt.

Mythra, if it's up to you to deny Peleth's rebirth, do it, I prayed.

So harsh, Taffiz teased.

"The prodigal sister returns," Peleth chanted at the sight of me. "And she brings this piece of garbage with her. An assassin who needs a decade to cut one throat."

On second thought, maybe not too too harsh, Taffiz mused.

The builders of this sacred place meant it for prayers, so the chamber magnified Peleth' voice and gave it an ethereal quality. "It's a pity Serket did what she did, Ishmara. We could have known each other since they had unswaddled us."

I didn't let the mention of my mother's name rattle me. She had been a Scorpia assassin. Good to know, but it didn't improve my chances to kill Peleth.

"Mythra, no! A lifetime of drinking camel piss instead of water would have been unthinkable."

Peleth' eyes flung open, boring into me with a spear point's intent, but her tone changed to a petulant one. "Oh, but if you were one of us, if we were friends, I might have given away my cousin to you as a groom. My pretty cousin, the one you like so much. And every other woman who lays her eyes on him. He's handy that way, very handy."

Parneres winced, turning his face away in shame.

I sucked my teeth. "What's with all the talk? Are you afraid to fight me?"

Taffiz' thoughts froze. His attention—and mine—were consumed by what she was doing... or would do in half-a-heartbeat. Forget her words. Words didn't hurt.

He crept along the wall to crouch next to Parneres, with his back also pressed into the column. But unlike Parneres, he didn't look cornered. Just cautious.

If Peleth noticed Taffiz repositioning, she didn't comment on it. Instead, she taunted me one more time. "Don't you want to ask me about your mother? I know everything."

I tsk'ed her. If only Phedoxia could see me now! She'd be so proud of me, for I copied her derision perfectly.

Just like I used to bristle the crone's condescension, so did Peleth. Unlike me, she wasn't obliged by her position to take it. Shadows surged when Peleth dashed forth. She was far quicker than my eye could have registered. Except I wasn't looking at her through my eyes.

I lifted my axes, catching Peleth's curved sword at the crossbar. I shoved her back, before she could snatch the black dagger from its sheath on my hip, her true aim.