"Bob! I haven't seen you in a while!" You say, smiling at him.

He looks away and nods. Suddenly the air is extremely tense.

You open your mouth to speak. "Is there something I did wrong? You won't talk to me. Are we still friends-?"

You're cut off by Lila. "Okay everyone! Dish up!"

Bob is looking away from you. You decide to give him some space, so you make your way over to the food table.

Is it something you said... or did? You can't remember ever doing anything to make him mad. Unless he just didn't tell you out of being nice. Frustrated, you grab a plate. Suddenly being here is just making you upset.

You grab a hotdog and some potato salad. You sit farthest away from where Bob is BBQing, and poke at your food. You've always been a people pleaser, so it makes you incredibly upset to know that you may have done something to upset Bob. If you did... it was never your intention to hurt his feelings.

Still poking at your food, someone sits beside you. Looking up, you notice that it's Jack!

"Hey (Y/N)! Long time no see!" Jack smiles. You're guessing he's off duty today, because he's out of uniform. "How are your legs holding up?" He points at your exposed knees.

You laugh. "They're okay! Thanks for asking. I didn't know you'd be here!"

Jack smiles. "Yeah! It's my day off today. Figured I'd do something fun." He takes a bite of his hamburger. "Plus, I get to enjoy summer for at least a day. It's nice."

As you and Jack are conversing, Bob takes a glance at you. You're talking and laughing with.... Another man. The police officer.

Suddenly, Bob doesn't feel so good. He feels... angry? Sad? Either way, he doesn't like the fact that police officer is chatting with you like you guys are besties.

Is this what jealousy feels like...? His eyes darken.

"Bob? You're burning the burger." Says a passerby.

Bob turns and looks at the burger. Fuck.

————-
"And then.... He fell down the stairs!"

"HAHAHAHA!!!"

You and Jack double over in laughter. You both have had a few drinks, lunch long gone and finished. You're really liking Jack. He's funny, and nice. You just told him about a funny story with one of your patients, and he finds it absolutely hilarious.

Jack puts his hand on your shoulder. "(Y/N), your surgical residency seemed like a fucking nightmare." The younger man says between giggles.

You giggle as well, unaware that Bob had been watching you both now for quite a while. He sees every time Jack looks at you, touches you... it's extremely aggravating to say the least.

Would the town miss a cop...?

Yeah. Probably. He still wants to kill Jack though.

"Oh man, then this one time..." you lean over and whisper in Jack's ear, what you're saying unintelligible to Bob.

That's it. He can't take it anymore.

Walking up to you and Jack, Bob looms over both of you menacingly.

Jack looks up, a little frustrated that this guy interrupted their conversation.