Secret Council

Author's Note: Thank you Zehannah for the book cover! <3

- - - - -

Ryzen was pulled from his fury-filled trance upon seeing the scene unfold before him. Though late, in order to hide among the citizens of the Eckrett Empire, he also bowed down to the direction where the alluring voice was coming from.
"Let go of the child." Not minding everyone around her, Ryzen heard her continue followed by the clanking sound of a woman's stilettos.
"Duchess! That child is a thief and I swear I am only doing what I think is best for the empire!"
"Did I tell you to speak?"
Ryzen stood behind a plump woman. He arranged his hood once more to make sure no one could see his face.
A pair of amethyst eyes were now fixated on a woman clad in a black dress adorned with rubies around her braided golden hair.
Who is she? Her countenance is of noble birth but her aura speaks volumes of her fearless character.
Ryzen failed to notice how he interrupted his tour just to watch a woman giving 'justice' in the middle of the crowd.
A man walked towards a woman. His garbs were familiar for Ryzen, making him frown as he listened.
"So, you are here, Duchess."
"Your Highness Yei Lin," said the woman, making her turn around. This gave Ryzen the chance to see the face of the woman that caught his attention.
"Fuck," Ryzen muttered upon seeing the woman's face. He involuntarily sucked his breath.
The sunlight sheen emphasized her golden hair. Her eyes which made him forget the crimson stigma of blood were clear and full of confidence. And her face was something that no other woman in the Kingdom of Altera possessed.
Thank goodness Shito is not here. I remembered the words I have said about the empire's women.
Ryzen nearly looked down, checking his cock which was standing erect as of the moment he saw her—her who was called the Duchess of the Ming Country.
Adjusting his robe to hide the predicament he was in, Ryzen watched as the Duchess and the crown prince of the Ming Country exchanged hushed words.
I need to know who that woman is and how close is the Ming Country to the Eckrett Empire.
Turning away, Ryzen walked back to the docks where Shito waited for him.
Unbeknownst to Ryzen, the moment he turned away from the scene, a pair of cold-blooded ruby-red eyes were staring at his retreating back. He was oblivious to the fact that he was in for a big trap and he had no way of knowing it right now.

"YOUR GUESS IS AWFULLY correct, you know. The envoy of the Kingdom of Altera has arrived but their king announced that he is sick and cannot meet the emperor for the time being." Yei Lin leaned his head against his hand that was being supported by the carriage's window.
Tori, who was admiring her diamond ring, merely gave Yei Lin a fleeting glance that screamed I-told-you-so. "Of course, I am correct... Your Highness."
"Oh, stop adding that words when we both know you don't mean those."
Shrugging, she crossed her arms. "Etiquette must be followed. You know how tight their asses are in the imperial palace."
"Tell that to the royal soldiers. I grew up in the imperial palace and I know how suffocating it could be. Five out of ten women in the harem commit suicide after succumbing to the madness of the royal palace."
"Is that your final attempt to stop my marriage? I survived in my household, surviving in a palace with Cory and the Dowager Queen in it will not be that daunting, I believe."
Yei Lin finally gave up. He also knew firsthand how volatile and merciless Tori could be, it was in her nature to destroy a threat before giving her enemy a chance to devour her.
"So. Did you accomplish the task that made you disturb my siesta?"
Tori looked beyond the carriage window, her gaze was now focused on the direction of the docks. "I suppose so. Lily's chain of informants will make a move as soon as possible."
A smile appeared on Yei Lin's usually cold facade. "Lilian can be brilliant when she has her heart on it. Her informants will be useful for you to monitor the motion of the nobles and aristocrats."
Pride swelled in Tori upon hearing the admiration of Yei Lin's voice. "Lily will be my hidden dagger in the palace. My enemies will think about Rowan, but no. It is Lily's information that will overturn the tides of the game." The smile that she was sporting suddenly vanished before she gave Yei Lin a piercing glare. "Don't you dare make plans for her... At least not for now."
"What are you talking about? What plans? It doesn't mean that you are living a rainbow life with Cory, that will happen to me too, you know."
Shrugging, Tori remained silent. She was not a fool. She saw how the crown prince's eyes gleamed upon mentioning Lily's name. If only she did not know about the incoming war...
I am sorry, Lily. I am depriving you of something that will either take you to the heights of happiness or the depths of hell just because I need you now more than ever.
The moment the carriage arrived on the pavilion, she was welcomed by Rowan who guided her down like a trained knight.
With her arms linked around his and with Yei Lin and Alice in tow, Tori went inside the quarters of her newly established Secret Society.
An arch welcomed Tori's sight as they went inside the greenhouse where Talia was currently staying. The moment she went inside, Tori let go of Rowan as she whistled.
The flapping of the wings and the screeching of Talia brought a grin to Tori's face as she watched the great winged pet landing on her left armored arm. "There you go, girl! You have missed me, right?"
With the members now situated around the oval glass table, Lily pushed the cart which was filled with pastries and tea sets.
Yei Lin and Alice stood up to help Lilian while Tori sat on the golden chair adorned with rubies.
Talia flew on her own accord, landing on its golden tree gifted by Yei Lin to Tori when she ascended as the Duchess.
It was Chief Keiran Arin of the North who spoke first. His face was colder than usual. One could see the bulging veins around his arms from his controlled anger. "You are right. The neighboring countries are into something. Coincidentally, Monakre and Ming are being cast out along with the Eckrett Empire."
Yei Lin and Alice's turned grim upon hearing the result of the chieftain's investigation.
On cue, Rowan took this chance to report the results of his investigation as well. Taking out a folded and worn-out parchment from his white coat, he placed it at the center of the glass table. "I believe I found the motive if ever the Kingdom of Altera will act as predicted. It is hunger and the growing unrest among the common folks after being subjected to decades of civil war."
Lilian took the parchment and read the key information of the report. "Death toll increased by a hundred percent after the fall of the previous administration. The crops are not usable for the soil has been flooded with the common folk's blood. And two storms ravaged half of the capital city before a plague took matters to the worse." She handed the parchment to Chief Keiran.
"No wonder they are eyeing the Monakre Kingdom for now. We are the closest territory and the only country that flourished alongside the Ming Country. In fact, it is the alliance between the two countries that secured the safety of both countries whenever a calamity would strike," said Alice. His face was distorted from the complicated feelings that has arisen within him.
Yei Lin forcibly snatched the parchment from Alice. "Take a grip, Alice! Yes, it is sad but in this world, it is either we eat them or they will eat us!"
"The motive is there and the move has been made. As the crown prince of the Monakre Kingdom, what do you propose to do?" Rowan aimed at the conflicted Alice.
Tori, who was listening to the members of the Secret Council while doing her tea ceremony, stopped pouring the tea into the teacup. "Alice," she called, "you know that you have the support of the Eckrett Empire. Just... Don't save a dog that is bound to bite you in the end."
She sipped on her teacup before she calmly continued, remembering the greed of the golden king in the series. "Always remember to see your enemies without an ounce of emotion. Only then, you will see what is hidden beneath the calm sea."
Chief Keiran nodded while he chewed his macaroon. He said, "If it is food, seeking help to the Monakre Kingdom is enough. But to set their eyes on the empire? Isn't there a hidden context? Like anger, frustration, envy, and greed..."
The glass doors of the greenhouse opened followed by a familiar friendly voice. "You started without me?"