032. stolen mattresses

Start from the beginning

    When Sofia next enters Carl's room, he's surprised to see her dark hair cut to just above her shoulders and she has a small smile on her face when she sees him leant against the wall with a comic book in his hands.

    "You cut your hair." Carl observes breathily, his blue iris flickering over her as she kneels opposite him on the sleeping bag that's cushioned with blankets and quilts. "I like it." He closes over the comic and lets it flop onto the ground beside them. "You do realise that means I win, right?"

Sofia narrows her eyes at the small smirk that spreads across the boy's lips, "just cause you have longer hair than me now doesn't mean you win."

"Kinda does." Carl tilts his head and shrugs his left shoulder up softly making her smile. "We should get a dog."

    "What?" Sofia laughs, looking at him strangely as he gently leans forwards and pulls her closer to him by the hips. "Me and Ro had a dog when I was little."

    "Yeah?" Carl mutters, his hands sliding up her spine and flattening between her shoulder blades, pulling her impossibly closer. "What was his name?"

    "She was called Ruby." Sofia says pointedly and Carl holds his hands up in mock defence as she lets a small smile spread across her lips. "She was huge. One of those dogs that you would see in movies as guard dogs."

     "I always wanted a dog, my Mom didn't like the idea of leaving it all alone when she and my Dad were at work." Carl shrugs his shoulder softly and Sofia purses her lips. "If we ever find puppies, we have to keep them."

     "I promise we can." Sofia smiles, her dark eyes flickering over his face as he pulls her closer, her chest pressing against his and her face hovering over his, their noses brushing. "You know you don't have to wear this, right?"

"I do." Carl whispers persistently when he feels her fingers brush over the bandage around his head.

"Not around me." She murmurs and he sighs, sliding his hands down her sides gently and resting them on her hips. He closes his eye, nodding softly and she smiles, gently unraveling the bandage and taking off the worn gauze.

Carl grimaces as her brown eyes flicker over his newly revealed face, desperate to know exactly what is going through her mind. Sofia softly places her lips on the shiny skin around the scar tissue and Carl tenses but relaxes under the comforting touch of her lips on his scarred skin. The girl slowly drags her lips down his cheek, Carl breathing shakily as she rests her forehead against his.

"You're the prettiest boy I've ever seen, you know?" Sofia breathes against his lips and he scoffs softly, a smile tugging on his lips. "I'm serious."

"I know." Carl mumbles, sliding his hands to flatten against the small of her back, his fingertips just barely slipping past the loose waistband of her pants. "I don't deserve you."

"Pretty sure you've got that backwards." Sofia laughs and he shakes his head, tucking his bottom lip beneath his teeth softly to prevent the amused smile threatening to force its way upon his face.

"Shut up." He chuckles and she shakes her head, softly pressing her lips down on his.

Sofia smiles against his lips, her hands moving from his shoulders to the back of his neck as she pulls him deeper. The sweet and gentle kiss turns into one of desperation as Carl's hands move from her back to her hips and her fingers curl around the hair at the back of his head, tugging it softly.

Carl's hands grip her hips tighter as he pushes her down further, a sharp gasp escaping her lips as she feels Carl against her.

When she feels Carl against her.