Chapter 28 - Forgiveness

Start from the beginning

Naeem smiled and looked up. 'There's no need to ask for permission to go greet your parents, you can go there anytime you wish'. He informed her.

'Thank you'. She replied with a text message.

'Can I come along?' He pleaded.

'If you wish'. She messaged. Naeem almost laughed at her childishness but he composed himself.

'Let's go'. He said as he got up from the sofa and adjusted his cap.

The couple walked side by side to the main house but nobody uttered a word.

'Assalamu alaikum'. They chorused as they got to the entrance.

'Wa alaikumussalam'. Fatima who was by the door replied. 'Good afternoon Yaya'. She greeted Naeem who replied her and started walking to the living room. 'Amarya (Bride), you are really glowing'. She teased Husnah, giving her a hug. Husnah jokingly rolled her eyes.

'Don't sweet mouth me, why didn't you visit? I've been bored'. Husnah complained loud enough for Naeem to hear as she walked behind him.

'I was giving you time to rest'.

'Did I say I needed time to rest? Please try to visit as much as you can. I need company'. Naeem was hurt

' Okay big sis, I'll try'. Fatima gave her a side hug.

The couple sat on the centre rug and respectfully greeted their parents.

'How have you been?' Hajiya Saudah inquired.

'We are fine, alhamdu lilLah'. They chorused.

The family talked for a while before Husnah brought up the cooking discussion.

'Umma, thank you for your hospitality, we really appreciate'. She hugged her aunt. 'But please I want to start cooking this night'. Naeem unconsciously looked at her.

'What's this one up to? Does this spoiled brat want hunger to kill me?'. He wondered. However, he resolved not to say a word. The discussion is between mother and daughter.

'I think you should rest more Husnah. At least rest for a week or two'. Hajiya Saudah suggested.

'I'm okay Umma, there's no problem God willing'. She assured her, smilingly.

'Okay, if you insist. Give Naeem a list of anything you need that isn't available so Fatima or Khadija can escort him to get them'.

'It's already settled Umma, thank you. I sent the list to Yaya Mimi (her elder sister), she will be sending her driver with them later In Shaa Allah.

Naeem was visibly offended but he decided not to say anything - Especially not in his parents' presence. He felt belittled and his family could sense his distress.

'You shouldn't be stressing them anymore Husnah, that's why Naeem is there, to take care of you and to also cater for your needs'. Hajiya Saudah corrected.

'Okay Umma, noted. I am sorry'. Husnah apologised. Naeem was glad the issue was taken care of.

'It's okay'. The family talked for a while before the couple left for their apartment.

*****

Later, the driver brought Husnah's stuff to her and she immediately began cooking.

Two hours later, she was done setting the table so she went to her bedroom to freshen up and pray. She sent a message to Naeem that dinner was ready.

By the time Naeem got back from the Masjid, the house was filled with delicious aroma, making him salivate as he walked to the dinette.

He opened the dishes and was shocked!! Husnah made all his favourites - Bolognese Spaghetti, Shepherd's pie and chicken soup. There were fruit juice in a jug and Arabian tea in a tea pot. He never knew she could cook!!