chapter one - boarding school

1990

1990

"I don't want to go to boarding school," a young Amelia whined to her parents as they drove to Downe House to drop her off at school. 

"I know love," Sara let out a sigh as she continued to drive. 

Her parents Sara and Thomas Nicholson were normal people who had demanding jobs.  Sara was an interior designer and her client list was very extensive whereas her dad was a baker at his own bakery called Thomas' Bakery.  It wasn't a really unique name but it was a name that Amelia had come up with when he had asked her what the name of his sweet shop should be.  Both of their businesses were increasingly busy and whilst they loved spending time with their daughter, they knew that Downe House would offer her the best education.

Eight year old Amelia Louise Nicholson wasn't really happy about having to go to boarding school, but her parents knew she would be grateful to her one day.  Not everyone had the money to be able to afford boarding school.  She would have the best education that her parents could afford.

"What's that over there?" She asked her parents as they got her trunk full of her things out of the back of the car.

"Oh that's Ludgrove School.  It's the all boys boarding school," Thomas told her.

"Why is it an all girls school and all boys school?" She asked confused as she held her mum's hand and they continued to walk.

"They want you to get the best education that you can," Sara told her daughter.  "They feel boys are a distraction."

Amelia didn't really understand what her mum was saying but nodded her head anyway as they made their way into the dorm area where Amelia would be staying. 

Downe House was fairly big in the eyes of an eight year old.  She had only met the Headmistress only once when she had come to Downe House before she got the acceptance letter.  Amelia never imagined that she would be going to boarding school and if she were being honest, she wasn't sure why her parents wouldn't let her just go to a normal public school.  They walked further into the building where the dormitories were and looked for her dorm room number when they finally came to a stop.

"Ah, here's your room," her mum piped up as she saw the number which was number 4. 

"D'you want to pick your bed, sweetheart?" Thomas asked his daughter and she nodded her head.

There were four beds in the room.  Amelia got one that wasn't close to the door or the window.  She wanted to be in between the two.

"Good choice," her mum smiled at her and Amelia looked up at her and smiled back.

There was another girl who came in with her mum.  Her blonde hair was down.  And she had a smile on her face as she skipped into their room.

"Hi," the blonde said a bit peppy.  "My names Darcie.  What's yours?"

"A-Amelia," the brunette said with a little bit of nervousness.

The two parents introduced themselves and fell into a comfortable conversation as the two girls began to talk.

"I hope you don't mind... I picked this bed," Amelia told the blonde.

"That's fine with me," the blonde shrugged her shoulders and moved over to the bed on her right that was closest to the window.  "I think I'll pick this one."

"D'you have your class timetable yet?" Amelia asked her new roommate who nodded her head and walked over to her mum to ask her for it.

They compared the courses they had and realised they had three classes together.  Just then two other girls with their parents come into the room as well and Amelia was starting to get a little nervous.  She never had been that great at making new friends in a group setting.  

"Hi," they heard a cheery voice from the doorway and the two young girls looked up along with their parents.

"Hi," both girls answered back and plopped off Amelia's bed and walked up to her.

Amelia was feeling a little shy again which was normal for her whilst Darcie was the more outgoing one of the two.

"My name's Jenny," she said kind of shy as her ears turned red and started to heat up from the attention on her.  "What's yours?"

"I'm Darcie," the blonde pipes up with a big smile on her face.

"And I'm Amelia," she tells the other roommate, a bit shy again.

"D'you guys have your timetable yet?" Jenny asked with interest as her parents were now chatting with the other parents.

"Yeah, wanna look at mine?" 

The three of them looked at their timetable and the last roommate arrived whose name was Molly.  She had caramel skin and her curly hair was pulled up in a high ponytail.  They all shared their timetables again and the parents then decided to take them out to dinner so that the girls could get fed and then they would say goodbye.

"What would you girls like to eat?" Sara asked all of them.

"Pizza!" They all yelled at the same time and started laughing.

Amelia let out a sigh of relief as they all seemed nice so far.  If they were nice she supposed she could do this.

--

This is the first chapter and I just wanted to get it up before really going into the story.  Prince William won't arrive until a couple chapters in.  Also I realize that Downe House and Ludgrove School are probably not close together and don't have any classes together.  But for the purpose of the story, they will have one class together.

I think I read that Kate went to Downe House but I'm not having her come in until they are in university. 

Last thing - I am not British.  I am American so if I get British slang wrong at all please be nice to me.

Hope you guys are as excited about this book as I am!