Chapter 10: Can't Help Falling In Love

A/N: This is the fluffy conclusion to my first ever story. I want to say thank you for all the love and support over the past ten (!) weeks. I never imagined that I'd be in this position right now and I'm so grateful to all of you for welcoming me into the community. I've got another story in the works, which will probably be out after the first of the year, so stay tuned for that. For the final time, please enjoy "Can't Help Falling In Love."

The few moments of silence Wanda and Y/N shared immediately after their wedding were a momentary respite from the chaos of the day. As excited as they were to celebrate with all of their friends, part of them wanted to just leave. Tony and Pepper had loaned them their upstate New York cabin for their honeymoon and the Quinjet so they could fly from the remote Iowa homestead to New York. They were planning on spending a couple of weeks there: no missions, no training, no Avengers, no distractions. And while quietly slipping out seemed tempting, they figured it'd be best to at least make an appearance at their own wedding reception.

"Oh good, found you two!" It was Laura. She'd peered around the corner and spotted them leaning against the barn. "Oh I'm so happy for you, congratulations!" She ran over and gave each of them a quick hug. "Everything's all set up. We're just waiting for you two. But don't rush!" She raised her hands defensively. "Take as much time as you want."

Wanda looked at Y/N. "I'm ready if you are."

"Yeah I'm good," he shrugged.

"I'll go let everyone know!" Laura turned and headed back into the barn.

Y/N pushed himself away from the barn and stretched his arms up over his head. "You sure we can't just leave now?" he yawned.

"There's cake. We're going," Wanda asserted as she pushed herself away from the barn. "Besides, if we skip out we'll never hear the end of it from Laura." She stood up and walked in front of him. "Come on, Mr. Maximoff," she said, stretching her hand out to him.

"Why thank you, Mrs. L/N," he replied as he accepted her hand. They giggled as they walked back into the barn.

As soon as they reentered the barn everyone stood up and applauded. Y/N and Wanda raised their clasped hands up in celebration. The cheers didn't let up until Y/N took Wanda in his arms, dipped her, and kissed her passionately. Initially it led to more cheering, but everyone settled down once the newlyweds sat at their small table.

The evening was fun and full of celebration. Dinner was followed by speeches from both Pietro and Tony. Pietro's speech was short and heartfelt. He told stories about growing up with Wanda and how he always felt the need to protect her since their parents couldn't.

"I've grown to learn that Wanda doesn't need protecting. I'm her brother, so I can't help but think about it. She's the most important person in my life. But if there's any person in the world I'd trust to take over that position, it's Y/N. Y/N, I'm extremely grateful to call you a friend, but I'm blessed to be able to call you my brother now. And as lucky as I feel right now, I know Wanda feels even luckier to be able to spend the rest of her life with you. So on this most happy day I wish you two many years of happiness and love. Let's all raise our glasses to the happy couple." He nodded at them as he raised his champagne flute in a toast.

Tony's speech, on the other hand, was the exact opposite. It was a little long, a little self-indulgent, and full of embarrassing anecdotes.

"I don't know if everyone knows this but I'm basically the reason there's a wedding today," he bragged. Wanda tilted her head to look at him. Y/N choked on his water. "I knew Y/N had the hots for Maximoff and frankly I was tired of the tension. I mean you put the two of them in the same room and it was like you had to cut yourself out with a knife." At this point Y/N wanted to curl up into himself and disappear. He felt Wanda place a hand on his knee. Tony was wandering the room as he spoke, owning the floor like a lawyer giving his deposition.

"It took a little coercion on my part but he did it. He asked her out. So, being the generous person I am, I decided to throw him a bone. I made reservations at Giuseppe's, I loaned him my car, I bought him a bouquet to give her, and I threw a pack of Trojans in the glovebox."

The crowd roared with laughter. Wanda, blushing beet red, lowered her head on Y/N's shoulder, who had placed his elbows on the table and was rubbing his temples.

"Hey now, we couldn't afford to have any Minimoffs running around the Compound!" He raised the glass of bourbon to his lips.

"Please don't tell me he just referred to our future kids as Minimoffs," Wanda groaned into his jacket.

"You know he warned me about his speech before the wedding. I thought he was joking..." Y/N leaned his head to whisper down to Wanda. She groaned again.

"Anyways they've been together ever since and we don't have any toddlers shooting lasers out of their eyes! But you know what?" He looked around the room and then back over at Y/N and Wanda, drink still in hand. "They're a handsome couple. They go well together. Their relationship is based on a deep-seated respect for one another, trust, and love. They are kind to one another. They genuinely care about one another. They're also willing to lay down their lives for one another. Fortunately I've been there to talk them out of it on missions," he chuckled. "But like I told Y/N, when she's the one you just know. And once you know, you'll do anything to keep her around." He looked Y/N in the eye as he raised his glass. "Salud," he said, taking a sip of his bourbon.

Wanda and Y/N smiled at Tony. His speech was a tad long and self-indulgent, but it really was a sweet speech.

"And now, if I'm not mistaken, I believe it's time for our newlyweds' first dance," Tony remarked as he sat back down.

"Come on, Hemingway," Wanda lovingly urged, grabbing his hand to pull him up and out of his seat to the middle of the barn. Y/N only hesitated mildly. He'd be lying if he said he wasn't nervous about this part: he had two left feet. As they reached the center, he extended his left hand out for her to take and placed his right hand on her waist as she placed her left on his shoulder. The music began to play as they began to sway back and forth.

Wise men say, only fools rush in.

In that moment on the dance floor the outside world ceased to exist. It was just Wanda and Y/N and the music.

But I can't help falling in love with you.

Y/N leaned down to rest his forehead against hers as they kept time with the music. He felt her hot breath as she exhaled, her breath slightly unsteady with nerves.

Shall I stay? Would it be a sin?

"If I can't help falling in love with you," Y/N sang in a low voice. He wasn't a singer by any means but he couldn't help himself. Wanda chuckled as he sang slightly out of tune.

I still want my cake, Wanda thought.

Like a river flows, surely to the sea.

"You and your cake," Y/N sighed.

"Let's be real, darling. It's the only reason I agreed to a wedding in the first place," she teased out loud.

Darling so it goes

"Right because I'm the second fiddle here," he retorted.

"Absolutely." She lifted her head slightly to give him a quick peck on the nose.

Some things are meant to be.

He laughed as she kissed his nose. She'd been obsessing over their wedding cake for weeks now. If there was anything Wanda loved more than Y/N, it was dessert. The wedding cake was her baby. She'd spent hours at various bakeries trying different cakes before settling on the chocolate hazelnut cake with raspberry jam filling and cocoa buttercream frosting.

Take my hand, take my whole life, too.

Wanda leaned her head down to rest on Y/N's shoulder as they danced to the smooth melody of Elvis' voice. Y/N rested his head on hers.

"I love you," he whispered.

"I love you too," she whispered back, gripping his hand even tighter as they continued their parth around the dance floor. The song was nearly over, but their journey was just beginning.

For I can't help falling in love with you.