storytime. itto

[ 警告 ] warnings ;  none

[ 警告 ] warnings ; none.

you pick up your tote once you place the books neatly into a pile, careful to not mkstreat them. itto watches your everymove, still not wrapping his mind around the concept that you volunteered to read, of all things.

"they're paying you to just read?" "to kids itto, yes."

he gives you a confused look, like he was trying to read you, "and you said your doing it—"

you sigh, "for fun. i like to read." you shrug and the guys mind looks blown, he falls back on the couch, "you're so dramatic." you snicker, "you sure you don't wanna join? maybe you can find a book you like." you look down at him to see him smile lazily, "read? pfft..no thanks." he says cooly, you roll your eyes but a smile remains on your lips,

"okay...if you need me i'll be at the publishing house." you wave at him as you head towards the door, but you hear him quickly scramble behind you, "w-wait! what if you run into some monsters on your way?" he points out, you turn to face him again, lifting a brow, "its not that far i'm sure its avoidable." you assure but he clears his throat, "i don't wanna take any chances—! i could just escort you there...you know—to protect you!" he smiles, a light shade of blush blooming on his sunkissed cheeks, he lifts an arm to flex his muscles just to prove that he's suitable for the job.

"you won't take no for an answer." i inform—agreeing, he nods, his smile becoming larger and i can't hold mine back, "fine lets go then.." with a sigh you open the door hearing his victory laugh.

...

your seated amongst the kids behind the publishing house, telling a story about a lost baby bird searching for a new home. the kids all seem so invested, and so does your boyfriend apparently.

itto was pretending to be interested in a shelf of books that were about plant growing. while at first you believe he did find something he liked, his eyes were caught wandering a lot towards the group.

with every gasp the children made a plot twist followed ittos, to the point where you stopped and asked the kids, "should we invite mr. arataki to our storytime?"

"no. he keeps beating me at hide and seek. doesn't he know how to pretend?" one pouted, but a girl shook her head to his words, "your just a sore loser. i like itto! he helped me find my lost cat." she smiled sweetly, "he pretended to be my personal driver!" "he taught me how to find really good lavender melon!" the others voiced and you felt your heart swell, you peered over at him again to see him eyeing the whispering group confused to what they were talking about.

"itto? do you want to join our storytime?" a boy turned to ask once the group reached a verdict, the oni look surprised, but he wasted no time playing coy, "well if you want me to, it'd be rude to say no..." he shrugged, walking over and plopping in an open space the kids made for him.

you shook your head with a smile as the kids (and itto) in unison looked up for more of your book,"okay, so then..." you keep telling the story, loving the way the kids and itto act in unison with their expressions. you think its cute how easily entertained he is for certain things.

gradually, the kids all shift and gather around itto. some laying against him, or propped over his head putting flowers on his horns unbeknownst to him.

"and soon the bird flied away, alone but greatful for his journey." you closed the book to be met with mixed emotions, ittos being the most vocal, "what? WHAT? THATS IT? IT'S SO SAD." he bursts nearly knocking over the kids above him, but the kids agree in unison, "it maybe sad but there's a lesson.." you remind, "lesson?" a girl asks,

"not everyone is someone you can trust." a honey femme voice says with a giggle after seeing everyone's reaction to her sudden presence. "sorry, did i scare you?" yae asks, "oh! yae, is it time?" you ask looking at the setting sun, the kids should head home before sundown so it might be time to end the story session,

yae nods with a sigh, "yes..as fun as this event might of been, it's time to go." the children "aw" with anguish before begrudgingly getting up and running to their parents.

all thats left is itto.

"[ name ] you don't understand how thankful i am for your volunteer work." yae says with a sweet smile, "and your oni's too.." she eyes itto who touches the flowers on his horns now realizing they were there. "bring him again next time. it's been good for the sales." she winks before strutting off,

"[ name ]?" itto calls, getting up from the cushioned seat, "do you have any books at home?"

you smile, "i have a whole shelf in the living room itto." you tell him but he shakes his head, "no...what i meant was—can we read it together? like this,"

he's infront of you now, "please?"

©-dxliqhted