never again. diluc

[ 警告 ] warnings ;  angst

readers death.

the day went as it usually did, he placed a kiss on your temple before getting up to get ready for the long, dreadful day ahead of him. opening the tavern, taking out yesterday night's trash, putting up with kaeya as he passed by, then finally returning to the manor to be met with the new stack of paperwork at the dining table, where his hot cup of coffee waited for him with a folded letter that had tiny drops of the substance due to what he would assume, rushed movements.

he wondered if you left it here, if you were roaming around and hiding to give him one of your daily surprises. his eyes scanned every corner of the empty room before finally unfolding the letter,

' emergency at the guild, i'll be back late, don't wait up for me! xoxo, name. ᥫ᭡ '

he thumb traced the tiny heart you drew, the corners of his lips twitched into a sad smile, no sneaky surprises today. no matter how much you thought he hated them he'd always reassure you, he loved whenever you'd accompany him, he'd invite you to sit on the table with him but instead you'd take a seat on his lap, reading along to the paper before him and even dipping the quill in ink for him before he could even reach for it.

but today was not that day, it even made him feel a bit uncomfortable not having you stand around, trying to capture his attention.

the paper before him was just a jumbled mix of words that he no longer paid attention to, his mind far too occupied with the fond memories he had with you, seeing them over in what seemed like a replay,

"do you ever even brush it?" your hands combed through his vermilion locks, with a few hurtful tugs of knots. "of course i do." he spoke nonchalantly, his brow twitching with each slow tug, "really. when?"

he placed the scroll down, and thought quickly, "just earlier this morning." he cleared his throat, feeling your gaze burning holes behind his head, "i thought businessmen were better liars than the rest..oh how wrong i was." you pressed a kiss on the crown of his head, letting the tied-up hair fall loosely onto his back and shoulders, "i woke up with you this morning, not once did i see you tend for it."

he sighed after your words and a laugh escaped past your lips, "you have to take care of it! not everyone is blessed with such healthy long hair of this shade.." your comment made him huff, he could care less, that was until, "besides i really like it, it's soft and has the earthy scent? something like sweet dandelions and pine wood.." you said with small breaks to recognize each smell with tiny whiffs, only making his cheeks burn, he was glad you didn't see him or he'd have to prepare for a night of teasing along with the days ahead.

"master diluc?" a maid's voice echoed through the empty room taking him out of the memory, she seemed out of breath and even, scared?

"what is it?" he stood, to approach her seeing her look back and slightly stutter, "it's name, she..."

diluc's heart skipped a beat, it skipped several, "name? what about her?" he spoke with haste and desperation, "the guild called, naming her injured but she's nowhere to be found-"

he picked up his coat as soon as she spoke the word, injured. "please, fetch a healer at the cathedral to come to windrise near the statue of the seven."

once he saw her a bit shaken with the urgency in his voice he called for someone else, time was limited as it was valuable and he didn't know how much he could risk to waste,

he rushed out, fetching a horse to escort him faster, he knew where you were and he hoped you were fine and that the guild just didn't know too much about your status after the emergency mission.

but his hopes failed to be accomplished, you laid at the very bottom of the statue, your hands leaving numerous printed stains of blood on the stone as you pleaded, "please work, please, please... it can't be it, please barbatos...any god that's hearing me please..." you sobbed, heavy breaths escaping you, the statue didn't glow as it did it when you approached it with a minor cut, it was drained out.

"name." the man shook as he approached you, every inch of emotion pounding onto him at the same time, "you should have stayed back, the guild sent a heal-"

"they wanted to leave me there 'luc.." you sobbed, his hands adjusted your body, softly and careful not to harm you and to lay you in his embrace giving you any ounce of comfort he could give you, "the statue could help me, so i came here...defeated a damn slime that hogged the spot..." you coughed, splattering your fist with blood that only filled your eyes with more tears, "i was reckless, m' so sorry diluc.."

he was wordless, breathless even that the small gasp of air coming from him surprised you, "diluc..." you lifted a hand contemplating whether or not to hold his face, even with the blood.

he made the decision for you, grabbing your hand and placing it on the side of his face where the tears streamed down, "don't apologize, please name, don't apologize...not here, okay? the cathedrals healer will come any minute now, just talk to me okay?"

you nodded, your eyes slightly falling, making him shake his head, "no-no, keep these open for me okay? let me see those pretty e/c eyes..."

you did as he told you and he smiled sadly as more tears roamed down, you both knew what fate had laid out for the both of you at this moment, the only that held the both of you was hope, and you were slowly draining out of it,

"i-i did my hair, just like you like it, see?" he sniffed, you looked up and smiled weakly, "just how i like it..." your face soon broke into another sob, "your an amazing person diluc, inside and out. don't ever forget it, okay? your worth so much so don't ever settle for less..." you coughed interrupted you, your voice was getting raspier and the blood didn't stop seeping out, you groaned at the sharp pain in your abdomen, "name, please.." he understood, it wasn't his first loss, those words only shattered him further as his grip on you tightened, "i can't be without you, i can't. i won't." he handheld yours tightly against him, as you shook your head,

"you'll find someone better, someone that can replac-"

he shook his head, "never." a sob hiccuped from him, "i'll never love again..."

as his final words escaped, rain started to pour, and your body no longer inhaled another breath,

and the only thing that was heard was a was a piercing cry.

© -Dxliqhted