Chapter 36

"Leo, Felix, you guys are up!" Mason shouts from the living room couch

I stick my hands in the bowl of chips one last time before dusting off my fingers and walking into the living room. Felix steals a chip out of Sage's hand before following me as his girlfriend playfully rages in protest.

"You let them win again, Ro?" I shake my head playfully as I plop onto the couch next to Rowan and he hands me his controller.

"They are just too good," Chloe smiles. She props her feet up on the arm of the sofa, and lays her head in Rowan's lap as he plays with her hair.

"Hell yeah, we're too good," Hayden agrees, giving a quick fist bump to Jordan while the two are sitting on bar stools behind the couch, smirking at all of the people in the room who can't be them in a single Madden match.

Felix takes a seat on the couch beside Sawyer, who quickly hands him his controller. Sawyer immediately pulls his phone out of his pocket and starts typing away, probably messaging Cecilia.

I told him that she was more than welcome to join our little hangout, but she actually had some stuff to do with her parents today. I'm quite sad about it because I love Cecilia to death and wanted her to meet all of our other friends too.

Vincent is sitting on the ground beside my legs and reading a book. Leave it up to one of the strongest football players on our team to be reading a book at a friendly hangout. Not only that, but I'm surprised he can even concentrate with the chaos of our intense video game competition.

"Nerd," I mutter jokingly, knocking my leg into his shoulder.

"Dick," Vincent says back with his signature smirk. "Besides, I'm sure your boyfriend would be doing the same thing."

Damn, he may be right.

There have been too many times when we are all hanging out and Ash is just sitting in my lap, reading a poetry book. It's not that he's uncomfortable with everyone, my friends are just a loud group of people, and Ash isn't as loud. He's pretty reserved, so while he loves being around my friends, including Felix and Mason now, sometimes it's just a little hard for him to fit into the chaos.

"Hmm, that's what I thought," Vincent retorts, jumping straight back into his world of lines and imagery.

"Are we gonna start this shit or what?" Mason asks, his mouth full of potato chips.

"You ready, Captain?" Felix asks, looking at me expectantly.

"Of course I'm ready," I grin, pressing play on the controller.

After about five minutes have passed, Felix and I are surprisingly winning. It's not by much, but it's still enough to knock Hayden and Jordan off their high-strung horses.

As the match is coming down to the last couple of plays, buttons are mashing away and leaving people at the edge of their seats in suspense. Even the disinterested Vincent and volleyball enthusiast Sage are happily watching the video game duel.