"Aren't you supposed to cook them?" I asked with my nose squinted.

"Try 'em." I did, and they were delicious. "I knew you would like them." That is all he said the rest of the walk.

As we approached the house, we saw a flashy car in the driveway. Pa Walker let out a whistle, "Mighty pretty car there."

"Yep."

He walked me to the driveway and then turned around to walk home. "Aren't you going to come in and talk to Nana and Pa?"

"Nope. They got a full plate tonight. Come and get some more beans tomorrow. I'd rather you eat them than the critters."

"Pa," I said. He stopped but did not turn around. I walked to him and gave him a big hug. "Thanks for the walk, and the beans," I hesitated for just a minute, "and for being in my life."

"Well, goodnight then. You're going to squeeze me too tight. I will tell Ma you said hello."

"Good night, Pa Walker."

I passed the car and walked through the garage door. I could hear laughter coming from the kitchen.

When I walked in, Mom was sitting at the bar, Nana was pouring Mom a glass of wine, and Bud was outside with Pa drinking a beer.

"Um.. What's going on here?" I demanded as I slammed the door. It was not how I meant to say it. It came out so fast that I had to decide if I was I going to commit to the attitude or just back track and tell them I had no idea where that came from.

"Well, it is nice to see you, too. Thanks for waiting for me so I could have a ride home."

"Hey, that was not my idea. It was Nana's idea. Ask her. Yell at her. Don't yell at me."

"I'm not yelling," she said loudly.

"It sounds like you are."

"Cricket, I'm tired."

"You're tired. Well I am sick of all of this, the little red house, the lake house all of it. I can't wait to be done with this town and live far away from here!"

"Oh! And where exactly are you going to go, Missy? You better straighten up that little attitude before my guest walks in here and you are rude to him, or me, or your Nana. I will not tolerate it tonight! So you better go to the bathroom and wash your face and put a smile on it."

"Fine! But I'm not going to work this week." I marched toward the bathroom.

"Fine! And what does work have to do with any of this?"

"I am just sick of going to that place. I need to study this year, not work."

"Fine, I don't need you. You just better start washing that face. I will not have you talking ugly to me tonight. Do you hear me? I want to hear a 'Yes Ma'am'."

I opened the door and said very sugary with sarcasm, "Oh, yes Ma'am. Whatever you say, Ma'am!"

I heard Nana giggle, "Sounds just like you sometimes."

I stood at the mirror, tapped my eyebrows with my fingers and finally realized what I had seen. On Mom's right arm was a big bandage. How could I not have noticed it sooner? She had gotten a tattoo.

After washing my face, I decided I was not playing this game and went to bed. I heard Mom walk to the door, but Nana yelled, "Leave her alone."

A few minutes later I heard sliding glass doors open and all their voices were out back. They were telling stories and laughing. I knew I didn't want to join them.

I played possum all night and woke the next morning to the smell of bacon. Nana was making breakfast.

"I was just coming to wake you." Nana smiled as I walked in the room. "You're going to be late for school."

"Yeah, school," I ate breakfast and got my school bag.

"I can drop you off if you'd like. I have to go to the market today. I just need five more minutes."

I went outside and waited down by the wading pool for her. She always took longer than five minutes. As she came out, I walked to the car, got in the passenger side and reached for the seat belt. She touched my hand with hers, "Cricket, I know this past week has been hard."

"This whole year feels hard."

"I know kiddo."

When she got to the hill, I looked out the window toward the little red house. I saw her car and his car parked out front. My stomach dropped.

"It's all right for your mother to date."

"Oh, is that what happened last night? That was a date?" I said sarcastically. Nana didn't talk the rest of the way to school. She let me out at the edge of the school property and said she would see me later.

"Hey, Beautiful," I looked up, and there smiling at me was Tyler. I ached for his arms. I ran to him, threw my book bag and purse to the ground and hugged him tightly. It felt right. I was home.

"I missed you," I said as he covered my face with kisses.

"I missed you more," he replied with even more kisses. He held me tight. He put his arm over my shoulder and walked me to class. "Let's meet after school and go somewhere fun."

"Absolutely," I said.

When school was out, I met Tyler at the back door.

"Where do you want to go today?"

I looked at him and smiled big, "Austin."

"You got it." He grabbed my hand and we walked to his car.

"Do you have your suit?" he asked.

"I borrowed one from school. They won't miss it. It is the ugliest suit in the world, remember."

"Nice."

We snuck off to Austin to Barton Springs. It was a gorgeous day and the sun was shining.

We changed into our suits and found a shady spot to lay out our towels.

"Shall we," Tyler asked as he reached out his hand and guided me down to the water. He walked to edge and jumped right in.

As he came back up and shook his hair I asked, "Is it cold?"

"Nah."

I sat on the edge and dipped my toe, "Are you kidding? It is freezing."

He splashed me, "Just jump in."

"No way. I'm going to sit here while you swim."

He swam over to me and teased, "I invited you to come and swim with me. So either you jump in, or I'm going to start practicing my kicks."

As he began to kick, I sprang from the side and went under water. When I came up for air he was right beside and pulled me close to him and held me in his arms. "I can warm you up."

"Really. You can warm me up in this freezing water?"

He nodded as he leaned in for a kiss.

I smiled, "I love you."