The Drive-In

We drove to one of the few drive-in movie theaters left in all of Texas.

On the way I asked, "Do you even know what is playing?"

"Nope. We will just have to see."

We arrived about seven, which gave us time to get something to eat.

Mom pulled up to the window. "Two tickets please. What's on tonight?"

"Singing In the Rain," the boy replied in a monotone voice.

We parked our car and went to the snack shack. Mom ordered one burger to split, a chocolate shake and French fries. I went to the eating area and found a table, which was easy because it was still early and pretty empty. After Mom brought our food and we ate, we played a round of putt-putt golf while waiting for it to get dark. I was getting good at walking around with my boot. We were on our last few holes of golf when I saw Shep.

"Hi Cricket."

"Hi Shep. How are you?"

"Good. Thanks for asking. How is your ankle? I heard that you broke it . . . but now I see you did."

"Yep. I did. The boot is pretty hard to miss."

"Yeah. Does it hurt?"

"Not as much."

"Are you staying for the movie?"

"Yeah. I'm here with Mom. It's mother-daughter date night."

"Oh. Well, we will be hanging out in the pit if you want to join us. I better get back to the guys. I think I already missed one hole."

"All right. See ya." Mom was watching me. "What?"

"Nothing," she replied, then added after a short pause, "I was just thinking what a nice guy he is."

"Okay, but he is a little weird."

"Nice guys are the good guys, and they are always a little weird."

"Not everyone is what you think they are."

"Do you know him? Do you know that he is weird or do you just think he is weird because others think he is weird? It is good to go for the sweet and steady guy."

"Is there a competition that I do not know about? There is no one who even likes me, Mom."

"How can you say that? This kid just missed an entire hole of putt-putt golf for you, and you have the other one slaying spiders!"

"Slaying spiders," I said with a smile. "Really, Mom? Can we just play golf and not talk about boys, especially when one of them is here?"

"You mean two of them." Mom said out of the corner of her mouth and began waving to someone behind me.

I froze. Who makes two? Mom started waving bigger. I turned slowly.

Tyler was waving back at her and then at me, looking just as nervous as I felt. A girl was walking toward him.

I felt very uncomfortable and started thinking, Please keep walking. She paused and gave him a hug, then put her arms around his waist. My mouth dropped, and I turned back and looked down at my ball. Do I act like I am playing? Do I wave back? What do I do?

Whack! Mom's ball went soaring in the air toward him. There were a few moments of silence and I felt as though all eyes around us were watching the ball bounce and roll in front of Tyler.

I turned to Mom. "Nice shot. Did you use your three iron?"

She just smiled. "Could you please go fetch my ball?"