Chapter 13

Artemis's POV

It was silence, only eyes to eyes contact.

Then Apollo broke the freezing stand.

"Sunlight sipped through cloud.
Artemis cuddled on bed,
Why the sky not raining?"

The stupid haiku pulled me back to reality. I stared at my relatives, eyes big as plates and then back at the position Perseus and I were in. I had never jumped off from a bed so fast before in my life.

"It's—Uh—" I avoided eyes contact, shifting my feet furiously. "I can explain! It's not really like what it looked like"

Out of the corner of my eyes, I could see Perseus smirking at my direction. I gritted my teeth and tried to give him a signal through the slight wrinkling at my nose so that it wouldn't be too obvious to others.

'Say something to untangle this, you idiot!' I wanted to yell at him. 'Stop smirking'

"Well, now that out of the way" my uncle cleared his throat awkwardly, which made the situation even worse. "How are you now, Perseus?"

"Nah, I want to dig more into this uncle" Apollo said before Perseus could respond, his eyes still focused on us. "What were you doing on his bed, sis?"

"It was" my eyes darted to Perseus and back at my brother. "He had a fever last night. I tried to keep him warm but got pulled into bed instead"

"And that explained the cuddling? Or the Perseus being shirtless with you next to him?" Apollo raised his brows.

"I'm telling the truth okay!" I snapped. "We didn't do anything"

At that point, it was too embarrassing for me to keep going. Yet that idiot wouldn't stop.

"Yeah but—"

"Shut up Apollo!" I bursted and stormed out of the room. The door slammed so hard behind me that the ceiling groaned at its break.

I matched towards the white cobblestone path that lead out of Olympus. People passing were eyeing me weirdly and it set me off even more.

Did someone tell them what happened between Perseus and I? It was only a few minutes ago, how did the gossip travel that quickly?

Why are they looking at me like that? I tried to ignore it, but when you have been caught in such a shameful position with a male, I was paranoid everywhere.

I didn't make a lot of friends, and usually kept it to my own circle. So, it must be strange for people to see me being near someone new. Especially when it was Perseus. I suspected Aphrodite also has been vowing stories in the Sip 'N' Dip bar at the marketplace.

The gate only a few yards away and yet it seemed like miles. Every seconds here only made my blood boiling more. I broke into a run and dashed out of Olympus, convincing myself to ignore how I would look in everyone's eyes.