After ushering us all in, Armonica introduced us to some of her friends and cousins. They all seemed nice and friendly.

It didn't take long for the cake to arrive. As expected, it was huge and looked fantastic. Armonica must have paid attention to every detail as everything at the party looked to die for.

Right after the cake was cut and the couple fed each other, a photo session took place. All the family gathered together for one group picture. My heart sprinted underneath my chest thinking about Maddox who might pop out from somewhere. After all, wasn't he part of this family, too?

I hadn't let it bother me much but from the second we arrived my eyes had been anxiously shuffling to the entrance, expecting his arrival. Armonica did mention when she invited us that he wouldn't be attending. Yet, I found myself hoping to stumble upon a glimpse of him.

It was a stupid thought. What happened last night between us shouldn't be a big deal. It shouldn't even have happened. A moment of weakness that I idiotically let myself indulge in.

When I woke up this morning, Maddox had already left. No parting kisses, no formal goodbyes between us. It was as if he was never there. But that was hardly the truth. The evidence of him being with me the entire night was littered all over the floor. His presence still hung heavy in the air of my apartment.

Perhaps it was for the best that he wasn't present at the party. Because if he had, I would have made sure to let him know that what happened the previous night couldn't happen again. At no cost. Under no circumstances. No. Nope. Nada.

I was still in the bubble of my thoughts when a tap on my shoulder forced me to turn around. It took me a second to acknowledge the good-looking man whom I met a while ago.

"John?" I asked, surprised.

"Close," he laughed, flashing the perfect set of his teeth. "It's Josh."

"Oh, my God," I flushed, embarrassed. "I'm so sorry."

He laughed again, shaking his head. "That's alright. No need to apologize. It's been a while. So...how have you been? Hopefully, not bumping into strangers anymore?" he teased with a wink.

It was my turn to smile at the memory. That day was definitely something. "I've been doing fine. What about you? Hopefully, your assistant not spilling coffee on your shirt anymore?"

He grinned. "God, don't remind me of her. I had to fire her after a week. She was clumsy as hell."

"Aw, poor girl! I feel bad for her now." I wasn't lying. Although I wasn't a clumsy type, I knew how it felt to lose a job. "I hope she found another one. It sucks to be fired."

An indescribable expression crossed his eyes, but he was quick to replace it with another teasing remark. "It's a good thing I gave her good feedback. It wouldn't take her present employers to learn that it was all crap. But not my business anymore, right?"

"So kind of you to do that for her. I wish everyone gets an employer as thoughtful as you."

He clicked his tongue. "But not all employers should get an employee like her. It would be tragic."

I laughed. "True."

We talked for a little while when his phone rang and he excused himself to answer it. I checked my own phone to see if there were any texts from Brandon, but found nothing but useless notifications from social media applications that I barely even used.

"Thinking about last night, darling?"

My entire body froze when two arms slid around my waist from behind and someone whispered close to my ear. The heat arriving from their mouth charged a shiver down my spine.