First meeting

You were a rookie cop in training on the scene of your very first case.

While the more experienced officers were searching for clues on the missing Byers boy, you were tasked with comforting his family and keeping them safe just in case whoever took Will Byers was out to get the whole family.

So, you head out to the Byers home.

You knock on the door.

And after a few seconds, it opens.

Behind it stands a small, terrified looking woman.

She composes herself.

You can see she's been crying by her pink nose and red face.

"Hello, Ms. Byers. I'm Y/N L/N and I will be with you and your family for a little while to make sure you're all safe." you say, introducing yourself.

She stutters, "O-Oh, perfect. I-I think we do need someone like you here right now. Come in, come in."

She lets you inside of the house before closing the door behind you.

You look around.

There is a skinny, tall boy that emerges from a room down the hall to greet you.

"This is my son, Jonathan." says Ms. Byers.

You shake his hand, "Nice to meet you, Jonathan. I'm Y/N L/N. I'm just here to look after you and Ms. Byers for the time being."

He nods.

Ms. Byers looks into your eyes as she places herself in front of you, clasping her slender hands together, "Officer Y/N. H-have you heard anything yet? Have they found anything more than my boy's bike?"

"For confidential reasons, Ms. Byers, I cannot confirm nor deny that we have found anything yet, and unfortunately I will not be able to tell anyone until the higher ups give the green light. But I can promise you that all of our officers are on the lookout for your boy." you assure her.

She nods frantically, "O-Okay. And please, just call me Joyce."

"Alright, Joyce. If you need anything just let me know, alright? I'll be outside until you need me again." you say before heading back outside.

You sit down on the porch, leaning down to place your elbows onto your knees.

That woman.

She's so beautiful.

You shake your head of the thoughts.

You're a girl.

She's a girl.

No.

You drag your nails across the pavement as you hear the door creak open behind you.

You feel a gentle hand on your shoulder.

You turn around to see Joyce.

She smiles at you with kind eyes as she says, "Come in, you don't need to stay out here in the cold. It's windy too, come with me.".

You reassure her, "Ms. Byers, I'll be okay. My job is to make sure that you are okay."

She insists, "Come in! I don't want you out here in this weather, sweetheart!"

Reluctantly, you stand up beside her, following Joyce back into her house.

She shuts the door behind you, blocking the cold air out.

Then, she ushers you onto the couch, sitting you down.

She sits down beside you before warmly saying, "Welcome to the Byers family."