Chapter 17 - Deserted Island Exam (4)

Start from the beginning

"T-they're trying to forcefully see inside our camp, Katsuragi-kun!"

So, the man who just appeared before us was Katsuragi. One of the two leaders of Class A, from what I've heard he tends to take up a defensive strategy involving little risk. Although, I've also heard; his followers among Class A had begun to dwindle due to the opposition.

"That's alright Yahiko. They can see inside the cave, as long as they don't touch anything."

"W-w-what..."

"Thank you for your kindness," Horikita once again took up the mantle of leading our little group.

"But," Katsuragi began to speak after he had just invited us inside, "from what I heard before I came outside, you said Class A was monopolizing this area?"

"Precisely," Horikita answered back. "We wanted to see if the cave would benefit our class and try to claim it after the time limit is up."

Horikita was blatantly lying about trying to claim their spot, but since we were unannounced visitors, our intentions of pure reconnaissance, wouldn't be known to them.

"That is a fair argument. But, couldn't you say Class D and B are doing the same?"

Horikita paused for a moment and looked toward Katsuragi.

Our attempt to see Class A's campsite was effectively put to a halt. Ayanokouji and I continued to stand in the clearing, watching the engagement between Horikita and Katuragi continue.

"Your class, from what I heard, is also controlling a spot surrounded by a stream, correct? And you've also held that spot for the entire exam. Likewise, Class B has also held their spot for the entire exam, so couldn't you say you're also monopolizing those areas?"

Katsuragi's counter was true; we had held that designated spot the entire exam, just like Class A did with the cave. So, trying to say that was a violation of exam rules would only make us a culprit too.

Horikita, seemingly realizing her mistake, took a step back from the cave entrance. "I'm sorry. You're completely right. We will take our leave now."

She quickly turned away from Katsuragi with a look of defeat. In the end, we only got to see Class C and B's campsite which wasn't a total failure.

We all disappeared into the shrubbery as we made our venture back to camp.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Day 5, 6 am)

"Fukumoto-kun... Fukumoto-kun..."

A hand grasped my shoulder, hurriedly shaking me awake.

"W-what, I woke up like 2 hours ago. I need to sleep more..."

"This is important," the person's hand continued to shake me awake, only more violently now.

"Fine," I brushed myself off and got out of the tent. "What's the problem?"

Apparently, the one attempting to wake me up was Hirata. As my mind finally began to work, I could see that Hirata had a very worried expression on his face.

"Something terrible happened," Hirata turned his gaze toward the girl's tent.

I looked over and saw the majority of the girl's awake and talking in their groups. But I still couldn't tell what was going on.

"Did he do it?!"

Shinohara had stormed over to Hirata and me. Apparently, I was the focus of her anger as she came closer.