chapter 5

[If only - Dove Cameron]

Of course, in the next few weeks, Fabio and I found almost no time to meet up.
His season started right after the week we met.
Since he logically had to plan strategies with the team all the time, we found very little time to talk on the phone. The time difference between Qatar and Monaco wasn't that big, but that was also an obstacle to finding enough time.
At the moment it was Sunday afternoon. As far as I knew, Fabio drove his race right now.
However, I couldn't follow it because I was currently on the plane with Mick on the way to Australia.
Actually we never had to be with the team a week earlier, but for the start of the season they wanted the drivers to be with them earlier. After all, everything should be perfect for the beginning.
As far as I knew, Fabio didn't get the best position in qualifying, but I still had faith that he would get a good result.
I went back to our chat to text him a quick message, which he probably won't see until after the race.

Good luck with the race
You can do it, I believe in you!
write to me as soon as
possible you can and tell me how it was
Unfortunately I can't watch it :/

I glanced at the message again, opened Spotify and started playing my playlist.Tired from the stress of the airport today, I rested my head on Mick's shoulder, who was sitting next to me.
I closed my eyes and slowly began to drift off to sleep.

Suddenly a noise woke me up. I noticed my phone was vibrating and looked at the screen. It was Fabio.
Oh god, how long must I have been asleep for him to already call me?
I quickly blinked a few times to get used to the light from the plane, which was quite bright, and answered the call.
"Hey," he greeted me.
"Hey. And? How was your race?" I asked straight away.
"Yeah, it was okay, I ended up second," said Fabio calmly, as if it were nothing special.
Meanwhile, I almost choked on the water I was about to drink.
"2nd place? That's great. So you have..."
"... gained 11 positions, yes," answered Fabio for me, who was already laughing again because his unenthusiastic tone was only played.
"Look, I told you yesterday that you can do it," I said.
"Yes... It was a tough race I have to say, but I got the win for you," said Fabio, pronouncing the last sentence a bit cautiously, probably because he was afraid of saying something wrong.
I, on the other hand, started to smile: "Cute."
You could hear a soft giggling from Fabio.
Shit, did I just say that out loud?
It should have been just for my thoughts.
Before Fabio could go into it, however, he started with something else: "But slowly it's getting boring without you. I'm already starting to miss you..."
I noticed my face getting red and I was just glad that we weren't facetiming right now.
"Yes, that's probably the disadvantage when we're both in motorsport," I tried to get out in a cool tone and then slapped my forehead with my hand. Was that really all I just said about it?
I just tried to distract from it, "Where are you going next week?"
"To Indonesia."
"Looks like more time difference doesn't it?"
"Yes, 4 hours as soon as you are in Australia. Are you already there?" he asked.
"No, we still have a few hours to fly. We've only had 3 hours."
"I love Australia, but the flights are really exhausting," said Fabio, to which I could only agree.
I also loved Australia and especially the fans there, but the flight was long and drained a lot of energy.
We talked a bit more until Fabio explained that he was pretty tired now after the race and wanted to go to bed first. I was tired too, despite my sleep earlier. So we said goodbye.
"Then write me if you're still bored on the flight and tell me when you've arrived," said Fabio.
"Fine, I'll do it."
"Take care."Once again I felt myself blushing a bit, but then managed to answer better than the first time: "I'll do it. Take care of yourself too..."
After a "bye" we hung up. Still thinking, I was looking at the ceiling of the plane when I suddenly heard a voice next to me.
"Yeah and now tell me he doesn't want anything from you."
It was Mick. I winced slightly because I had forgotten that he was also next to me.
"What makes you think so?" I asked innocently, "And why are you even awake, I thought you were sleeping?"
Mick replied, "Some of the conversation was overheard through your headphones and that sounded pretty much like it. Well, I'm not an expert, but..."
"I already told you, I'm confused too. I have no idea what I'm feeling or what he's feeling... But now answer my question."
" I wanted to sleep, but then I kind of got stuck in your conversation, but whatever. I think you should first think about your feelings and then see how it goes. I think you already feel it, just don't want to get in your head."
"I should feel what?"
"You're in love."
"Mick I'm-"
"Oh yes? And why do you blush when he tells you to take care of yourself?" he asked with a grin.
I wanted to ask another question, which he intercepted, "You're still red, so I know that, but now don't always deviate from the topic. Anni, defending yourself doesn't really help anything. You can't prevent your feelings."
I replied, "Man, I know it's not helping, but I don't want to get hurt. Ever since Fabio started making those insinuations, he's kind of got me around, but I'm afraid I'm just imagining it and it will hurt me. I know, I think, that the feelings are there, but I don't want to let it happen, even though I think the idea is beautiful."
Mick saw how desperate I was and hugged me: "Hey sorry, I didn't want to force anything on you and get you to tell me what you feel. I can understand that it's confusing, but don't stress yourself out okay with that? I'm here for you. So if you need someone to talk to, no matter how complicated it is, you can come to me."
"Thanks, Mick!"