chapter 1

[Party Rock anthem - LMFAO]

February 2022

I was in the process of tying the laces on my white sneakers and then took another look at myself in the mirror. For tonight I wore a form fitting black dress that ended above my knees. My curly hair fell over my bare shoulders.
The choice fell on sneakers because I was not particularly good with high heels. It wouldn't be a problem for a few hours, but for a whole evening like tonight... I'd rather not do that.
I made my way downstairs, where Mick was already waiting.
Hearing my footsteps, he looked up and smiled, "Pretty."
I smiled back, "Thank you."
"Is Daniel here yet?" I asked.
"He should be here soon."

Today was Pierre's birthday party. Since Mick and I would have gone there together anyway, we agreed to take Daniel with us as there was still room in the car.

After a few minutes the doorbell rang and Mick opened the door when Danny's voice rang out.
I too walked down the hall to the door so we could get started right away. I currently looked at my phone and watched a few Instagram Stories.
I had just arrived at Pierre's, which of course was full of birthday wishes.
"Hey-", I heard Dans voice as he was about to greet me.
I stopped abruptly and interrupted him, "No!"
Mick and Daniel looked at me confused and asked what was going on.
I looked up and said, "He's there too."
The two still seemed confused when Mick asked again, "Annika, who are you talking about?"
I turned my phone over for the two to see.
On my display you could see a story from Pierre. He had reposted another story. Fabio's story.
It was a normal birthday greeting, but Pierre had written "Tonight is going to be big", which must have meant that Fabio will come.
The hope of never having to see him again after the cases at the Redbull Ring was high. I will definitely meet him again tonight. And that thought made me shudder a little.

I wasn't actually a person who hated someone directly without knowing anything about them. But when I hate once, then really.
However, last year in July it was different with the "don't hate so easily". No matter how hard I tried not to despise him, I couldn't. The way Fabio was radiating just pissed me off.
In short, I just found him conceited and I wasn't keen on feeling that aura again tonight.

"Of course he's there too. Pierre is very good friends with him", Daniel replied, as if it was the most normal thing in the world.
"I can't go to the party", I said, looking at them both in panic.
Mick tried to calm me down and put an arm around my shoulder, "Hey, calm down. Pierre's party is going to be huge. Doesn't mean that you keep running into Fabio there. If you see him, you don't have to go over and talk to him."
Daniel also started to talk, "Yes, just ignore him. Besides, you haven't seen each other for half a year. Maybe the enmity isn't that big anymore."
I looked up, "You probably don't believe that yourself."
"Never say never", Daniel replied, shoulders shrugging.
"I guess I'll have to break my aversion to alcohol and take a few shots tonight", I said absently to myself and made my way out to the car while Mick and Daniel followed me.
"You can't, you're the car driver", Mick replied.

I actually was. Since I didn't really like or drink alcohol very often, I volunteered to be the current driver so that Mick and Daniel can drink something tonight.
Somehow we also had to get home and that requires a sober person.

Still subtly unwanted, we finally made our way to the party.

And with the phrase "tonight is going to be big", Pierre clearly wasn't lying. There was a lot of space, so that the many guests were distributed relatively well.
Loud music came through the speakers, shots were swallowed up and the atmosphere was great.
I haven't met Fabio yet. It could stay like that to be honest. Wouldn't be a problem for me.
After some time I decided to go outside, on the terrace.
A cold wind hit me in the face as it was still quite warm in the house and the sudden cold came unexpectedly. But it wasn't that cold out here for February.
I decided to take a seat on the small step and just looked up at the night sky.
Except for the music, which filtered through the walls, it was absolutely silent. And I enjoyed it.
I slowly brought the energy can to my lips and took a sip.
I saw how the sky was cloudless and therefore covered with stars. I couldn't explain it, but night skies had a calming effect on me.
A deep breath went through my lungs and I tried to switch off.
"Hey", a voice suddenly sounded behind me.
No.
Fuck no.
Even though I haven't heard that voice for 6 months, I knew right away who the owner was.
Fabio.