CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE

Start from the beginning

She scoffed as if it didn't bother her, but he knew it did—it always did. "He can fight them off himself." She paused for a second. "Once again, thank you for bringing him here, and for telling me."

"You're welcome. But, don't mention it again," he grumbled in true Mitchell fashion.

"Sure," she replied with a chuckle.

"I've got to get to Sam now. Will you be okay?"

"Yes, don't worry."

"Alright." He heard Mitchell's footsteps recede slowly. "I'll see you later."

"Bye." The door closed and a few seconds later, he heard her walking towards him, shuffling her feet. He waited patiently when he felt her looming over him, and it took everything in him not to grab her and kiss her senseless.

Then he remembered the mask covering his mouth and nose and nearly groaned.

Her hand came to his head, her fingers combing through his hair adoringly and he relaxed, barely stopping himself from grinning. Her hand left and he mourned the loss, only to hear her pull the bed side chair closer. She was probably tired.

Her fingers returned to their stroking, massaging his scalp, and he feared way too much blood was rushing south. "You say you'll be careful and you do the opposite. Aren't you supposed to be the logical one of us two? Now, I have to bear the heartache that comes with your impulsive decisions."

She let out a sigh and he so wanted to gather her in his arms and love her. She didn't need the stress but he wanted to hear what she had to say. "I know it wasn't completely your fault this time, but you could've slowed down a bit. I am grateful you want to help, just don't do it at the expense of your health."

There was a short pause, and then she chuckled quietly as if too much noise would wake him. "I was wondering the other time if you were going to pass on the asthma to the kids."

Trey hadn't thought of that. He didn't want any of his children to suffer the way he did. She sighed. "Much as I'd prefer they got none, I feel like it's a given that at least it would get passed on to one."

She paused again. "What if we don't get to hold them?" she mumbled, the talk taking a turn. "I've had threats to keep them to myself—and I'm not talking about Ethan."

His eyes flew open when registered what she'd said.

More threats.

Not from Ethan.

"What did you just say?" he growled, the beeping of his heart rate monitor growing.

Her eyes went wide. "Trey! Are you okay? Should I go get the doctor?" She started getting out of the seat, but he grabbed her arm.

"Sit down," he growled again, and she did to appease him. "Run what you said by me again."

Her eyes were still wide open. "What are you talking about? I said a lot," she replied innocently, which was true. He pulled the oxygen mask off, still fuming. "What are you doing?" she cried out, rushing out of her seat. "I'm getting a doctor."

"Alexandra!" She froze, turning to face him. His heart monitor was beeping crazily and he looked mad. If looks could kill, she'd be six-feet under. She swallowed and sat back down.

He took off the heart monitor's peg off his finger. "Did you say you've gotten threats from someone else?" he asked in a dangerously calm voice.

"Uh... yes?" He lifted a brow, and she cleared her throat. "Yes, but it's nothing you should worry about."

"Nothing I should worry about," he repeated incredulously. "Really? Why did you sound scared then?"

She swallowed. How stupid had she been to think he would fall asleep in a hospital? "Don't worry about it."