Chapter 22

The first thing I woke up to was Leo, rubbing circles with his thumb on my waist, and pulling the hair out of my eyes. Powerful strokes that kept an easy rhythm, so much I didn't want to move. I mumbled, scooching towards the hot and comforting surface behind me, a pebbly and soft texture. I could feel his chest rise and fall, the indentation of is abdomen pressing into my back as he continued. 

"Good morning my love," Leo said in a hush morning voice, continuing the rhythm under my shirt. 

I turned around, cuddling up towards his torso and holding onto him I would like a childhood stuffed animal. I tried to fall back asleep, a deep laugh vibrating from his chest in return. A light whine came from my mouth as I felt him start to get up. As he tried to move from the bed, I wrapped my arms around his waist and pulled him back as hard as I could. He didn't move, I couldn't do a thing.

"Struggling back there?"

In a quick and swift moment, I felt him pick me up bridal style and grin while he left the room. He carried me downstairs as I crossed my arms, yawned, and started to wake up. 

"How did you sleep?" he asked. 

"Oh, really good," I smiled, leaning into his body. "What about you?"

"Better than I have in a long time," Leo said. "I made you breakfast."

"When?" I gasped, seeing he had eggs, toast, and tea at the ready on the counter. 

"While you were asleep, I thought we could both enjoy something together before everyone else gets up." 

"You're so thoughtful; thank you." 

Leo pulled out a seat for me at the bar, the same way he always did, and for a second it felt like Murakami's. I sat down, waiting for him to get situated before we ate. As soon as he sat down, we both started to dig in, hunger clawing at me now that I was fully aware. I could feel his eyes watching me, wanting to know if I was having a good time. I hadn't eaten much since we ran into Karai, and he most definitely noticed. 

Leo always noticed. He always knew what I needed and when, he knew when to talk and when to listen, he knew when to do what and where. The things so many people would do to be with a guy like him; I wondered if he had ever been in a relationship before this. 

"You're in deep thought. What's up?" Leo asked, knowingly. 

"Have you ever been in any relationships prior to this?"

"No, I didn't like anyone," he laughed to himself. "Until I met you, that is." 

"You are quite the charmer," I said, pointing at his plastron.

"I take it you love that?" Leo took my pointed hand and raised it to his mouth, placing a kiss on my knuckles. 

"Of course, I do."

The rest of the day had gone smoothly. We had trained in the front yard for the fun of it, trying to ease back into the soreness of my injuries, and played games for the most part. Now, it was dinner time, and Leonardo had surprised me. He took me to a spot deep in the forest that surrounded us. It was an open section of some sort that he found in past times, now decorated with a blue picknick blanket and an assortment of treats. We both carried our gifts for each other, sitting down, I grinned. 

"This is great," I said, basking in the slivers of sun that beamed down on my head. 

"Open it up," Leo ushered, pushing the picnic basket towards me. 

I lifted up the top and looks inside, my mouth hanging agape with pleasure. It was Murakami's, something I had missed since we met. 

"I thought it was fitting." 

"It's perfect," my stomach quickly grew hungry. I had no clue how he managed to get this, but in the moment, it didn't matter. 

We both started to eat, asking questions to get to know each other better. He got pizza gyoza and a few other sides, all of it hot and fresh, making the moment even better. 

"What school do you go to?" he asked. 

"Roosevelt, the same as April and Casey. Our grade is pretty big, so I hadn't really met them yet. I also have done online school a lot since my mom's passing," I explained. 

"Do you like it?" he was curious. 

"It's alright, I try to find good in it, but I still don't know what I want to do when I'm older."

"That's okay, it'll come in time," Leo reassured. 

"I agree, the school just puts a lot of pressure on you to apply since it's eleventh grade. Did you do school of some sort?"

"As kids yes, it didn't take long though, we kind of just learned the basics. My favorite 'class' was history, because Splinter would teach us about our clan's history and Japan," he said. 

"Oh wow, so is that how you learned to speak Japanese? During that?" I asked. 

"A little, he tried to teach it to all of us, but I wanted to learn further so I would practice it in free time. It's why I can write in Kanji too." 

"You're really good at it, it's a great skill to have," I said, finishing up my food. "Murakami's never gets old."

"Right, I missed this," he agreed. "It's crazy to think how far everything's come. We met at the beginning of summer, and now it's August."

"I'm just upset school is going to start up again," I admitted. "But I'll be able to handle it, I'll do a good mix of online and in school."

"We'll be fine (Y/N), don't worry about that," he said.

Leo turned behind him, leaning back on his shell so he could get one of the gifts he had for me. It was a small box, wrapped neatly like he did it himself. I unwrapped it, opening up the box and looking at what was inside. It was a necklace, his initials engraved on a pretty silver heart, a sapphire gem placed on it. Leo raised his arm, revealing the bracelet he had on. It had a brown band, attaching to a silver clasp that had the same heart mine did, just with my own initials. 

"This is amazing, how?" I gasped. 

"I have my ways," he laughed. "Happy anniversary dear."

"Thank you so much," I said, running a hand over it before putting it on. "Here."

I handed him the gift I picked out, wrapped to the best of my ability. It was simple, something special for him I thought about a lot. He carefully held it, unwrapping it gently trying not to damage anything.  It was a small box; the lid quickly being opened by his big hands. Inside laid a small glass charm in the shape of a heart. I watched carefully, as he ran his hand on it and read into it. 

"It's my fingerprint, so whenever you need me, I'm there," I softly explained. He could carry it in his pocket. 

On the back it had the Hamato clan's symbol, and our initials. It took weeks to get made, I had to slip past all of the turtles to get my fingerprint done too. 

"This is wonderful (Y/N), I can't describe what this means to me," Leo said. 

"I'm glad you like it." 

"I'm so grateful for you," Leo scooched over, taking his hand over my cheek and jawline. "I don't know if I'd be able to keep on going if you weren't here."

I didn't know how to put it into words, so instead, I took my own hand to his face and brought him forward. Placing a passionate kiss on his lips before air fled my body and I had to let go. 

"I have one more thing for you love," Leo said. 

"Oh?" 

Behind him he pulled out a long-wrapped item, and I was almost sure I knew what it was. I slowly unwrapped it, awing at it. A big smile came over Leo's face. 

"Leo this is amazing!" I gasped. 

"You've earned it, the Katana is a great weapon."