Eagle of Knights Chp9

Thank you for this gorgeous edit _themoongazer_

**You became the oceans, and drowning became the one thing I desired**

The crescent opened its eyes wider to illuminate the sight before Badr. The sword in Badr's right hand shook from shock. Sword down by his side, Badr closed the distance between him and Shouq, his eyes searching her face: his gaze not wavering for a second. 

A whooshing sound rang in his brain, yet he denied blinking, not believing his eyes. When Badr was two feet away from the Borkan, he realized that the deranged sound in his head was the thumping of his heart, anxious and unhinged.

Badr stared at Shouq, and she returned his wild gaze with a calm one as if it was only Badr who was startled, only Badr whose throat dried. Seconds assembled their crown, their pressure turning stones of time into diamonds. Swallowing, Badr rotated his sword in his palm so that the sharp edge faced away from the woman, with eyes filled with misery and horrifying wrath.

Slowly, Badr moved his wild gaze behind Shouq here; his wide eyes narrowed into slits. Fahad. Shouq and Fahad stood there with only the clothes on their back and a camel. Badr's gaze moved back to Shouq, and he inhaled, chaining his feelings.

"What are you doing here, Shoug?" Badr spoke in a voice only he and the Borkan siblings could hear. He did not want his men to overhear their conversation not until he discovered the ground behind the visit.

Thick eyelashes blinked at him, but they did not waver. Badr felt his chest clench the eyes that were once alive like the sun on a summer day now appeared like a night stripped of its moon.

"I learned that you are to voyage again, prince."

Badr bit the inside of his cheek. Her voice sounded like she had screamed for countless hours. He understood what she indicated. Shoug meant his journey to avenge her Gaith. He nodded very slowly.

Shouq took a step forward, now only a foot separating them from each other, his fist clenched tight on the hilt of his sword. Badr pulled his shoulders back to bring some space between them. He could not take a step back: not when his men watched with curiosity, a curiosity that prickled his skin.

"I wish to accompany you, prince," Shoug uttered in such faith Badr knew no woman possessed.

Remaining where he was, he looked down at Shoug, now his wild eyes welcoming confusion and anger whizzed in them. "You do not know what you ask for, sheikha. Does Faris know you are here?" He lifted an eyebrow and glanced at Fahad, who dropped his gaze. "You must return to the tribe before Faris unleashes an army over these lands in your search."

Here her eyes wavered, and rage clouded her irises. Badr watched, transfixed, as the transition occurred. "I must accompany you. I must avenge my spouse."